xenforo issue re clearing cookies

rustleg

May 20, 2018
UK
I cleared cookies while logged in to this forum because I was trying to solve a problem with trying to disassociate an old sqrl id. Then I couldn't edit a post because there was a message which told me I needed to enable cookies. But there was no way to enable cookies. ok I had quit and log back in so it's not a big issue but rasmus might want to look at it. Maybe the message could have a button to enable cookies?

PHolder

May 19, 2018
As I understand how Xenforo works, if you clear your cookies, you should become immediately logged out (just refresh the browser.)

Jeffa

May 20, 2018
As I understand how Xenforo works, if you clear your cookies, you should become immediately logged out (just refresh the browser.)
Agree. Logged in sessions are only an association between an authorization and a cookie that the server maintains. When the cookie has gone, you are no longer logged in.

russellg

Oct 7, 2020
Ok. Perhaps the message could also helpfully say "you are now logged out. Please log back in." or some such. As it was, it just said I had to enable cookies and left me wondering how to enable cookies at that point. Usually when you get an error message you get an obvious route to proceed.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
I agree it would be confusing, but think of it from the site/software's perspective. You're sitting on a URL inside the site where you needed to have cookies to land, but you don't have the cookie. All the web is stateless, they use cookies for the state (and the URL.) So if you land somewhere you needed cookies without one, the site just naturally assumes you have cookies disabled, thus that particular error message.