Wordpress SQRL login

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

rob42

May 20, 2018
UK
rob42.net
Does anyone know of any work being done on a Wordpress SQRL login? It seems to me that as WP is a very popular framework on which many sites are built, it could be one way to get the SQRL system known to a very wide audience.

Reactions: Mahler

Ygdrazil

Feb 18, 2019
This is a must for adoption. I am trying to show people the benefit and ease of use, and it would be great to be able to implement this in WordPress...

rob42

May 20, 2018
UK
rob42.net
Over in... https://sqrl.grc.com/forums/sqrl-user-discussions.17/
Hey y'all!

I've been hearing about SQRL on SN for years now, and am super pumped to hear about it coming close to the finish line. (Great job Steve!)

I'm interested in contributing by means of implementing libraries/packages for the Laravel PHP Framework and maybe Wordpress as well, hopefully being able to tie them back to a common implementation library with a more framework-specific package implementing the functionality as required.

I'm looking around the forums and grc.com for some information that I can sink my teeth into on where to get started...but am having a hard time finding a definitive starting point.

Can anyone shoot me some links/info/suggestions on where to get started here?

Thanks!
... but I'm not sure if @jrub has started on this or not.

In the same thread...
I'm DELIGHTED by your interest, "jrub". Having a solid native PHP implementation of SQRL's server side would be terrific.

My best advice would be for you to hold on a bit until I've got GRC's SQRL protocol documentation updated with all of the many changes since it was originally written.
... so maybe it's still all up the the air, right now.

I've done some php development work, but I don't know that my skills are good enough to tackle this, but I'd be happy to collaborate with someone, when the time is right.

lockpro

May 5, 2019
Athens GA
I just want to add my voice to encourage the speedy development of a sqrl plugin for WordPress. I have a few Word Press sites and I am looking forward to implementing it. Hopefully it will coincide with a working iphone implementation also. I am currently using the Android app and it works well. We need the same for iphone ASAP. IMHO getting mobile apps ready quickly knocks down barriers to broad implementation.

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Our SQRL/XenForo/PHP developer Rasmus Vind has too many other commitments to be able to help with this. He was/is my first choice since he now knows how to use the SSP API as well as Paul F and I (both whom have written implementations of the API). So Wordpress support will need someone who knows PHP. I agree 100% that few things are more important, so if no one else presents themselves as interested, at some point I'll tackle the project. :)

Reactions: Mahler

shanedk

May 20, 2018
I know PHP, but I've never even tried to write a WordPress plugin before. It might be an interesting summer project, if no one else takes it on.

ramriot

May 24, 2018
I know PHP, but I've never even tried to write a WordPress plugin before. It might be an interesting summer project, if no one else takes it on.
A small issue with SQRL server support is that there is I think no LAMP SQRL SSP at present so support would need to be mostly in PHP using existing PHP Sodium support. To that end have a look here:-
https://www.drupal.org/project/sqrl which makes use of the PHP SQRL library https://github.com/GMJH/SQRL-PHP-Library with is written to dynamically make use of available ED25519 implementations.

Thus drupal module & library is a bit out of date with current functionality but includes much of what is needed, if you want to write a wordpress plugin that uses the same back end library or just use it as source then please do make a fork on github and pass back any learning you think fit.

BTW there is also an existing wordpress plugin here: https://github.com/ndigitals/wp-sqrl but I'm unsure as to its completeness.

Rippledj

Jun 12, 2019
I am interested in working on an SQRL implementation for WordPress login. This would be my first WordPress plugin. If anyone else is interested in this WP plugin project, please message me!

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
@shanedk & @Rippledj ... It will =definitely= be vastly easier to do what Rasmus Vind did for this forum, which was to rely upon the SSP API for all of the SQRL-specific stuff. Paul Farrer has his 'C' port of my assembly code working. I just sent him the final source so that he can port the various minor things that I changed this year. I'm not sure where he stands at the moment, but we'll know soon.

I could also provide a VMware VM with a fully running server, which is something that Paul and Rasmus and Daniel all have.

Rippledj

Jun 12, 2019
@shanedk & @Rippledj ... It will =definitely= be vastly easier to do what Rasmus Vind did for this forum, which was to rely upon the SSP API for all of the SQRL-specific stuff. Paul Farrer has his 'C' port of my assembly code working. I just sent him the final source so that he can port the various minor things that I changed this year. I'm not sure where he stands at the moment, but we'll know soon.

I could also provide a VMware VM with a fully running server, which is something that Paul and Rasmus and Daniel all have.
I think the VM server would be helpful. It will likely take me several months to understand the specs, and get a good working demo available. And work out which features are most viable such as allowing users to turn off their password logins off, etc.

If there are any features you want built into this plugin, please let me know.

shanedk

May 20, 2018
@shanedk & @Rippledj ... It will =definitely= be vastly easier to do what Rasmus Vind did for this forum, which was to rely upon the SSP API for all of the SQRL-specific stuff.
My thought about that is, that's great for people operating their own server, but there are a huge number of websites out there running on shared hosting where they can't install that kind of software on the server. So until SQRL gets popular enough that hosting providers include it the way they include other server features like MySQL, we'll have to have a full server implementation to accommodate those people.

But maybe it could link up with the PHP SQRL implementation or something.

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
@shanedk : What we really need for that scenario, Shane, is a full SQRL implementation in PHP. That way, a "plug-in" would entirely handle SQRL's addition to a site.

Vela Nanashi

May 19, 2018
I think some of the crypto is on php already, like libsodium or some version of that, so at least those would just be api calls in php, if they exist. Meaning SQRL server could probably be written in php. Of course maybe someone can try to code a plugin to be integrated later into php, for some extra speed, but that will take a while on some shared hosting providers before that will trickle down to them.

Rippledj

Jun 12, 2019
Perhaps I should look at the PHP specific implementation first and then seek to update / finish / port that to WP. Are there any suggestions about which versions of php and WP I should seek backward comparability with?

Vela Nanashi

May 19, 2018
You probably should not go any further back than when libsodium crypto library became integrated in php (https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.sodium.php), seems that was in 7.2.0.

As for WP I don't know anything about that one, but maybe the login functionality is similar in all the versions or many of them and you can see how many are easy to backwards port it to, but if any of them are not for some reason compatible with 7.2.0 and later php (I don't think that is an issue but who knows) that would be a natural lowest version to cut off from.

Rippledj

Jun 12, 2019
I created two accounts for this forum, one with a username/password and one with the SQRL Firefox client. When I created one with the SQRL firefox client, I tried to use the username `rippledjSQRL`, however the login complained that there was an illegal character. I tried with rippledjsqrl and it also complained. When I used Joseph, it accepted it. Just thought I would mention that.

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Perhaps I should look at the PHP specific implementation first and then seek to update / finish / port that to WP. Are there any suggestions about which versions of php and WP I should seek backward comparability with?
If you take a read through the SSP API documentation (=HERE=) you may be able to get some sense for how much of the total task I have placed behind the API. In short: ALL of it. The API =entirely= encapsulates the entire job of working with SQRL and abstracts it behind a simple HTTPS POST query and reply interface. This SSP API is part of the SQRL specification, and it's the interface to which I hope many implementations will adhere, since if we can have SSP API implementations and SSP API clients, we'll have a very flexible mix-and-match result.

Reactions: shirleybushnell