[WINE] Protocol (sqrl://) not registering with Firefox 64.0

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

mollusk

Dec 16, 2018
USA
Wine Version: 3.21 (32-bit)
SQRL Version: : Release 62 (0.0.6917.62)
Firefox Version: 64.0

What Works:

• Printing via cups
  • Generating Identity
  • All other basic functions
What does not work:

• Using identities via Firefox (and presumably other browsers)

I only tried this on Void Linux and not other distributions. If anyone has no problem getting Firefox to recognize the SQRL protocol on other distros, let me know and I will see if I am missing any packages.

Reactions: 1 person

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Firefox 3.5 and above

(Works without installed Gnome libraries)

• Type about:config into the Location Bar (address bar) and press Enter.
  • Right-click -> New -> Boolean -> Name: network.protocol-handler.expose.sqrl -> Value -> false
  • Next time you click a link of protocol-type sqrl you will be asked which application to open it with.
This is my edit of the instructions from the page @shanedk linked above. I have not verified that this works.

Reactions: KenRS and djosr

PHolder

May 19, 2018
From the page, linked above:

All Firefox versions

(Requires certain Gnome libraries to be installed)

• In a terminal, type:
gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/sqrl/command '/path/to/sqrl.exe %s' --type String
gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/sqrl/enabled --type Boolean true

It's up to you to figure out how to get gconftool installed if it is not already (hopefully it's something your distro has packaged) and then the part in the single quotes above (currently '/path/to/sqrl.exe %s' ) represents the part you need to put your Wine invocation. The %s will be replaced with the SQRL:// url when invoked by the browser.

Good luck.

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Paul: Thanks for your sleuthing. This info should be maintained somewhere here, shouldn't it? I suppose it could be pinned at the top of the "GRC's SQRL Client" where this thread was started. Or should we have a SQRL on WINE forum? I might go at the end of the "General General Topics" section.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
should we have a SQRL on WINE forum
Probably should have a pinned thread under each client known to work? It might be interesting to have some HTML somewhere labelled "Getting SQRL" and it could be like a little wizard: Click platform (Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android) which leads to a further question like use it where (stand-alone, in browser, in Wine) and then could list each known client with links to their topics in the forums which should have pinned topics on how to get/install those clients.

martin.sqrl

Feb 4, 2019
Probably should have a pinned thread under each client known to work? It might be interesting to have some HTML somewhere labelled "Getting SQRL" and it could be like a little wizard: Click platform (Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android) which leads to a further question like use it where (stand-alone, in browser, in Wine) and then could list each known client with links to their topics in the forums which should have pinned topics on how to get/install those clients.
As a new sqrl fan, that would be very timely. It took me ages to find Steve's webpage hosting sqrl.exe!

Ps. Thanks for the wine tip (above). Will try it tomorrow.

Martin

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
It took me ages to find Steve's webpage hosting sqrl.exe!
Sorry to make you search, Martin. However, this was deliberate. I fully expect that we're going to be SWAMPED when I loudly and clearly tell everyone where they can go to get and play with it. So, as they say, an ounce of prevention... :p

shanedk

May 20, 2018
Some point so long ago it was probably the last ice age, I wrote a script to do this that I think might have been working at some point (although I make no guarantees):

Bash:
#!/bin/bash

if [ ! -f sqrl.exe ]
then
    echo "The sqrl.exe install file must be in the current directory."
    exit
fi

wine sqrl.exe -install

sqrlexe=$(find ~ -mindepth 4 -name 'sqrl.exe')

echo "[Desktop Entry]" > grc-sqrl.desktop
echo "Name=SQRL" >> grc-sqrl.desktop
echo "Type=application" >> grc-sqrl.desktop
echo "Exec=wine '$sqrlexe' %u" >> grc-sqrl.desktop
echo "Categories=Internet" >> grc-sqrl.desktop
echo "Terminal=false" >> grc-sqrl.desktop
echo "MimeType=x-scheme-handler/sqrl" >> grc-sqrl.desktop

xdg-desktop-menu install grc-sqrl.desktop

jhmorimoto

Feb 12, 2019
Some point so long ago it was probably the last ice age, I wrote a script to do this that I think might have been working at some point (although I make no guarantees):

Bash:
#!/bin/bash

if [ ! -f sqrl.exe ]
then
    exit
fi

wine sqrl.exe -install

Works like a charm, @shanedk. Thanks. This pretty much covers any browser, not only Firefox.

Martin Holmes

Feb 17, 2019
I couldn't get this to work at all, on Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS with wine. I see only this when I try to run the setup script:

Code:
00ae:err:wininet:open_http_connection create_netconn failed: 12029
find: ‘/home/mholmes/.cache/dconf’: Permission denied
find: ‘/home/mholmes/.dbus’: Permission denied
The first error is the problem, presumably. I see lots of references to it on the Web, but mainly with regard to running games under Wine (which I don't do). Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm currently logged in using Steve's client on a Windows vm, which is working perfectly.

Dl4jones

Nov 21, 2018
Carlsbad CA

Bash:
#!/bin/bash

if [ ! -f sqrl.exe ]
then
    exit
fi

wine sqrl.exe -install

On my Mac - when I ran wine sqrl.exe -install in Terminal.app many error messages were generated. I got the grc-sqrl.desktop file built but the xdg-desktop-menu install grc-sqrl.desktop command didn't work on the MacOS version on unix. So this script is not good for the Mac version of unix.

DiSTURBED_oNE

Jul 1, 2019
Does anyone have any information for configuring the SQRL URL schema in Chrome? or Safari?

I am on a mac using Wine.
I have googled for instructions on setting up additional url schemas in Chrome, however, so far haven't found anything.

Also, I am seeing mentioned on the forums an SQRL Chrome extension, however, when searching the Chrome Webstore shows only three results for SQRL, none of which are related to GRCs SQRL.