We're at Release #68 (release candidate 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

i2n2

Mar 7, 2019
No success on macos with reinstallation. I have tried:
- Homebrew installation
- winehq-stable-4.0.pkg installation
- WineBottlerCombo_1.8.6.dmg (older wine version)

Regarding NTDLL.DLL. On my system (Homebrew installation) I have

/Users/i2n2/.wine/drive_c/windows/syswow64/ntdll.dll
/Users/i2n2/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/ntdll.dll
/Applications/Wine Stable.app/Contents/Resources/wine/lib64/wine/fakedlls/ntdll.dll
/Applications/Wine Stable.app/Contents/Resources/wine/lib/wine/fakedlls/ntdll.dll

sqrl-test-release.exe is crashing in the same way as #68

/ i2n2

i2n2

Mar 7, 2019
Wow. Hmmmmm. This suggests that Gary (@ramriot) does somehow have r68 running on his WINE system.
ramriot last post: Monday at 1:48 PM
We're at Release #68 (release candidate 3) first post: Monday at 4:19 PM

For the record, #67 works for me on macos and wine.

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
For the record, #67 works for me on macos and wine.
Ah! r67 DOES use the external UI string compression. So that's NOT the problem.
I changed so very few things from r67 to r68. People were surprised that r68 followed r67 so quickly...
  • Fixed "Request no account recovery" in the help text.
  • Fixed crash in the Copy Identity to Clipboard.
  • Disabled Rescue Code input context menu paste.
None of those things can be the cause. It must just be some weird quirk of the way the build shook out.

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Nope, it's still crashing on me.
Shane: I've eMailed you a Filemail link to download a non-compressed, full debugging symbols, unsigned version of release 68. My hope is that it will also crash, and that in doing so, by containing full debugging symbols, the WINE crash diagnostics will be able to provide us with some better idea about what WINE is having trouble with. I've eMailed to the address in your grc.sqrl "From:" header and your eMail address registered here.

Thanks for anything you can learn!!

shanedk

May 20, 2018
@Steve: I've given it several minutes and your email won't show up, not even in my Spam folder. Could you just DM it here?

shanedk

May 20, 2018
I've run it and it crashes; where are the diagnostic symbols supposed to be?

EDIT: Nvm, I think I've found it.

Last edited:

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Ah...... I assumed that you would know. That's GREAT NEWS that it crashes!! I was very worried that the non-production mode might be sufficient to keep it from dying since it seems that something is being "touchy."

Can you enable post-mortem crash dumps like i2n2 did? I'm not enough of a WINE-head to do more than Google for how to turn on a WINE crash dump.

shanedk

May 20, 2018
Okay, I'll try that.

EDIT: It gives me the same output I DMed you earlier when I ran sqrl with the -debug option.

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
OKAY! THAT output looks FAR better. I suspect that the compression was confusing the dumps.
I've messed with the code since I sent that to you (since I thought we'd have symbols which would give a reference).
So... I'm going to send you another. Let's switch over to the DM channel. I'll have something shortly...

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
To: Anyone whose Release #68 is crashing under WINE. I believe that I know what's going on. It fits ALL of the symptoms, weird as they have been.

WINE's decompressor is not producing EXACTLY the same length of output as Windows decompressor. I have a sanity check in my code to verify the length and if they are unequal I do not proceed... but that does leave a pointer to the decompressed block undefined... which is causing a crash.

A test release is posted which displays the two sizes, the "supposed to be length" and the "actual size". They will be identical under Windows. If someone has a WINE that's crashing and could run THIS one, I'll be VERY interested to know what two values is displays. Thanks! :)

ramriot

May 24, 2018
https://www.grc.com/dev/sqrl-runs-in-WINE.exe

That name is not yet a statement. It's a question... But if my hunch about WINE is correct, THAT one will run under WINE without any trouble. If someone whose rel68 is crashing could give it a try, that would be great!! Thanks! :)
System information:
Wine build: wine-4.0
Platform: i386 (WOW64)
Version: Windows 8
Host system: Linux
Host version: 4.4.0-146-generic

Firstly from your post #23, no I had not yet updated to version #68.

I have now & it does not work under wine 4. I tried the sqrl-test-2.exe & yes it does give dissimilar uncompressed lengths then crashes, the file above though "sqrl-runs-in-WINE.exe" does work.

Role on #69!

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
https://www.grc.com/dev/sqrl-for-WINE.exe

Any WINE users can download THIS stable version of r68 for WINE, rename it "sqrl.exe"... and you'll be good to go. It circumvents a detail that the WINE guys didn't support in one of the new Kernel API calls that I'm using for native decompression of the app's UI text. It won't hurt Windows, so this WINE accommodation will be in all future releases of SQRL.

Status
Not open for further replies.