Websites using SQRL

josecgomez

Aug 6, 2018
I have not seen this exact problem, but I have certainly seen chrome continue to sqrl before the “this site is trying to open” dialog has been satisfied.
Yeah I believe that steve "wales up" SQRL via both CPS and Click so sometimes CPS wakes it up faster than the sqrl:// invokation.

mikethebee

Apr 15, 2020
I have tried the jaaap FF extension on Ubuntu via a virtualbox but get this when completing the SQRL password
onPasswdFormSubmit
ERRPFS--2
Unknown error code ERRFE005

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Do NOT use both the GRC client and any web browser plugin at the same time. You're just asking for pain. if you have the GRC client installed, that is all you need.

Joao

Jun 5, 2019
I agree, websites not setup by Steve don't seem to work for me, only the Steve ones are allowing creation and login painless... the others don't even work, just give errors.
I'm not seeing these adopted anywhere yet, I think I will need to setup a wordpress blog, to see if the wordpress plugin can work, because in one web site mention here before it seems to use it, but is not working.

Mike-n5pwp

Jul 20, 2020
I'm sure I must be stumbling over some newbish behavior here. I've tried to do my due diligence and do some searching but so far I have not found if the general GRC NNTP forums use SQRL. I have been a voyeur using Gravity and would now like to be able to participate and not just lurk there. Do the general forums accept SQRL logins? I don't see how to do it in Gravity so I'm assuming I have to use a browser connection. Only I don't see a login on the browser page (using Firefox 78.0.2 Win7). It appears the only forums I can find using SQRL logins is the SQRL forums.
Thanks for any guidance and apologies for stepping on any toes.
Mike

Dave

May 19, 2018
Gardner, MA
I'm sure I must be stumbling over some newbish behavior here. [...] Do the general forums accept SQRL logins?
You are not missing anything. The GRC Newsgroup server is just an old fashioned NNTP server and does not support SQRL authentication. To date, the SQRL protocol has only been implemented for/over HTTPS. The web interface (https://www.grc.com/discussions.htm) provides read-only access to the NNTP content.

It would certainly be possible to implement a web server that provided an authenticating front end to an NNTP server.

It appears the only forums I can find using SQRL logins is the SQRL forums.
That is correct.

Thanks for any guidance and apologies for stepping on any toes.
No toes stepped on.

Mike-n5pwp

Jul 20, 2020
Thanks, Dave. I did some more searching and did fix one of my issues. I found a step by step that walked through setting up a News Reader with R/W access to the general forums.

Thank you for the professional response to my query.

I played a bit with SQRL when it first came out and I need to teach myself the little gotchas that it has when logging in. Like asking me for the last 4 characters in my SQRL password. I forgot that it locks you from accessing anything while you're in the process of logging in. I don't memorise the characters but use a password manager. I need to remember to copy those characters first before starting the login process. It just takes a little time to get the process down pat and it will become second nature.

Mike

diabolic

Oct 18, 2019
Thanks, Dave. I did some more searching and did fix one of my issues. I found a step by step that walked through setting up a News Reader with R/W access to the general forums.

Thank you for the professional response to my query.

I played a bit with SQRL when it first came out and I need to teach myself the little gotchas that it has when logging in. Like asking me for the last 4 characters in my SQRL password. I forgot that it locks you from accessing anything while you're in the process of logging in. I don't memorise the characters but use a password manager. I need to remember to copy those characters first before starting the login process. It just takes a little time to get the process down pat and it will become second nature.

Mike
and then you'll see that SQRL is the best way to login.....

.... to the SQRL forums 😂

Mike-n5pwp

Jul 20, 2020
and then you'll see that SQRL is the best way to login.....

.... to the SQRL forums 😂
I hope it is the way of the future. But I'm really surprised that Steve hasn't setup his NNTP groups to use SQRL. Oh well, they say the shoemaker's children have the worst shoes.:cool:

shanedk

May 20, 2018
I'm not even sure that it's possible, since the newsreader would have to be able to display a SQRL QR code and receive the authentication token. Remember that this is 1980s technology.

shanedk

May 20, 2018
And how would your newsreader know that happened? The newsreader is the issue.

AlanD

May 20, 2018
Rutland, UK
You may be aware that Steve is currently working on the next upgrade to Spinrite. Whilst the development work is going on through the NewsGroups, he has said that it is his intention, once SpinRite 6.1 is finished, to set up a web forum for SpinRite. That will support SQRL access.

Reactions: Dave

diabolic

Oct 18, 2019
Meanwhile I'm seeing more and more sites support Apples login thing. and I got to say it works well!

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Yes, if you let someone else [Apple in the case you mention] manage your credentials, it can be easier to implement and manage...but it's not going to be what SQRL set out to be. I'm unsure if SQRL is ahead of it's time, or if most people are too entrenched in their own ways--key based SSH authentication hasn't really taken off either.