This logon page has expired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

Jun 26, 2018
Hey guys,

I've been getting an error message saying "This logon page has expired" (see attachment) when logging in to the forums for some time now. It's happening in both Chrome and Firefox, at home and at work. I managed to log in once a few weeks ago, but when I tried to log in today the error was back. I've been googling around and searching the forums, but I've only managed to find references to expired nuts.

Reviewing the steps again and again, I can't really see anything I'm doing wrong. Does anyone know how I can get my SQRL operational with the forums again? Refreshing the logon page as advised has no effect.

Thanks

Attachments

Dave

May 19, 2018
Gardner, MA
I just logged out and back in again using Chrome and the GRC SQRL client with no problem.

My first wild guess... are your system clocks correct? You don't do anything funky like have the wrong time zone (or EST /EDT) and adjust the time to make it look right, right?

PHolder

May 19, 2018
I've never seen this message ever... I wonder what even invokes it. Is it possible you don't have the latest version of the SQRL client?

Martin

Jun 26, 2018
Thanks for the input guys, one detail that I failed to mention is that I use both Chrome and Firefox with SOCKS proxies. Chrome connects directly to my PuTTY-based tunnel on localhost, whereas Firefox is proxified using a commercial tool called ProxyCap. Explorer, which is not proxified, works just fine.

I tried disabling SOCKS with Chrome, and SQRL is working again. Does the GRC SQRL client require communication on localhost to work properly? I was under the impression that enough information could be passed to the client using the URL handler(?)

Happenstrance

Mar 31, 2019
Uh-oh, this looks like something nontrivial to fix. Maybe it shouldn't be until after the 1.0 release if we want that to happen before Christmas.

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Thanks for the input guys, one detail that I failed to mention is that I use both Chrome and Firefox with SOCKS proxies. Chrome connects directly to my PuTTY-based tunnel on localhost, whereas Firefox is proxified using a commercial tool called ProxyCap. Explorer, which is not proxified, works just fine.

I tried disabling SOCKS with Chrome, and SQRL is working again. Does the GRC SQRL client require communication on localhost to work properly? I was under the impression that enough information could be passed to the client using the URL handler(?)
Nice sleuthing, Martin. And, yes, the browser's access to the little web server running in SQRL clients (Jeff and Daniel have them too) is specifically what enables SQRL's quite powerful anti-spoofing CPS technology. It's considered a vital component of SQRL's security guarantees. I would never want to run without it, but you CAN disable it if you are willing to accept not having CPS.

Are you able to configure your SOCKS proxy to not-proxy localhost connections? If so you could get the best of both worlds.

However... The "page expired" error is not what I would have expected if that was the trouble. :/ I would have expected the warning about possible active hacking.

Bimmer

Feb 28, 2019
I have seen this error when I both have the Windows client and Chrome extensions on the same PC.
I just testet now, and now all is ok

PHolder

May 19, 2018
seen this error when I both have the Windows client and Chrome extensions on the same PC
Ah yes, that WOULD make sense... they're both rushing to process the nut, causing a race condition and thus a collision.

Martin

Jun 26, 2018
Are you able to configure your SOCKS proxy to not-proxy localhost connections? If so you could get the best of both worlds.
I'm struggeling to get it working with Firefox, even though it should be very simple to do (see No proxy for in the attached screenshot). Could someone here try with the same settings to see if it's just me making a mess of things?

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.