Thanks

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

Which OS do you use to browse the internet?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustleg

May 20, 2018
UK
I just wanted to record my thanks for doing this project Bert. Sadly I don't have time to help testing but when it's fully operational I will inevitably use your client rather than Wine or switch into Windows (I multi-boot Win 7 and 10 as well as several Linuxes). So you have my gratitude, and if I do find something worth reporting back I surely will post here (seems more appropriate than the grc newsgroup).

I mainly use Linux Mint 17.3 with the Mate desktop which has been very stable. Occasionally I use Mint 18.3 but still prefer 17.3. I'm hoping 19 will be better. Tending to use Chrome for general stuff more than Firefox but I have 4 different Firefox profiles for various levels of lock down / privacy. Use Lastpass and will be crossing fingers to migrate many sites to sqrl in the not too distant future.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
If you want to be fair in your poll, you needed to include iOS and Android ;-) I think a lot of the younger set don't even have regular access to a desktop machine any more. (Yes I'm an old fart, and I suspect many other early adopters here on this forum are likely to be also ;-)

[Let's not get technical on how iOS is really Unix/BSD and Android is really Linux, shall we... ;-) ]

warwagon

May 20, 2018
Iowa
If you want to be fair in your poll, you needed to include iOS and Android ;-) I think a lot of the younger set don't even have regular access to a desktop machine any more. (Yes I'm an old fart, and I suspect many other early adopters here on this forum are likely to be also ;-)

[Let's not get technical on how iOS is really Unix/BSD and Android is really Linux, shall we... ;-) ]
Yes some do, and I can't understand it. I guess reading the web isn't .. THAT bad, but whenever I want to post something online I want to throw said phone or tablet across the room.

colin_sutton

May 19, 2018
+1 for iOS, it’s not only for the young, tablets are commonly used by pensioners and travellers.

Bert Put

Jun 4, 2018
I just wanted to record my thanks for doing this project Bert. Sadly I don't have time to help testing but when it's fully operational I will inevitably use your client rather than Wine or switch into Windows (I multi-boot Win 7 and 10 as well as several Linuxes). So you have my gratitude, and if I do find something worth reporting back I surely will post here (seems more appropriate than the grc newsgroup).

I mainly use Linux Mint 17.3 with the Mate desktop which has been very stable. Occasionally I use Mint 18.3 but still prefer 17.3. I'm hoping 19 will be better. Tending to use Chrome for general stuff more than Firefox but I have 4 different Firefox profiles for various levels of lock down / privacy. Use Lastpass and will be crossing fingers to migrate many sites to sqrl in the not too distant future.
Hi rustleg,

My pleasure! Please don't think I am the only one who contributes to this client. Adam Comley wrote libsqrl which provides a huge part of the functionality -- I'm just writing the wrapper for it. :) Linux is my only OS since I gave up Windows quite a few years ago. I have an aversion to storing things like documents in proprietary formats so I will always default to plain text representation such as Markdown or LaTeX for all my documents and graphics. Linux does that so much better than Windows, so I'm all about native linux applications whenever I can make it happen.

Progress will be a bit slow but I'll do my best to get it out there. Anything you can do will help, even just using it day-to-day because that counts for testing. :) Thanks for the encouragement.

Cheers, Bert

rustleg

May 20, 2018
UK
Hi rustleg,

My pleasure! Please don't think I am the only one who contributes to this client. Adam Comley wrote libsqrl which provides a huge part of the functionality -- I'm just writing the wrapper for it. :) Linux is my only OS since I gave up Windows quite a few years ago. I have an aversion to storing things like documents in proprietary formats so I will always default to plain text representation such as Markdown or LaTeX for all my documents and graphics. Linux does that so much better than Windows, so I'm all about native linux applications whenever I can make it happen.

Progress will be a bit slow but I'll do my best to get it out there. Anything you can do will help, even just using it day-to-day because that counts for testing. :) Thanks for the encouragement.

Cheers, Bert
So my thanks go to Adam as well.

From choice I'd like to abandon Windows for several reasons but I keep my hand in because I support a club which uses Windows. I could have pushed Linux there but I don't think there will be anyone prepared to or capable of following me as a volunteer when I have to give it up. Also I have used Excel for two core applications as Libreoffice just doesn't cut it when scripted automation is required.

I too prefer to avoid proprietary formats - I remember the conversion trouble when we used Wordstar / Word Perfect and also Microsoft's own crippled free word processor (whose name escapes me). I tend to use plain text and simulate underlining with strings of equals signs etc.

Don't worry about slow progress. We all have lives to lead. Is it practical for trying out yet - perhaps when Steve gets sqrl working on this forum? If you/moderators adopt PHolder's idea of a pinned thread you can give us the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.