Successes and problems in testing Jeff's iOS client v1-0-281 8191

• SUCCESS!! We have a nice site-wide performance boost!
    Everyone...
    More recent editions of PHP (since v5.5) incorporate a built-in post-compilation interpreter opcode caching facility. That facility is disabled by default, and it had been. It's now up and running, configured and tuned. I've been monitoring its performance counters and it appears to be working very nicely. Our pages feel snappier such that it no longer feels laggy, and I think this will allow the site to scale well.
    /Steve.
  • SQRL Has Reached Pre-Launch Countdown
    Welcome to the SQRL Forums!
    Although we are getting close to official formal release, there is no counter counting down. The SQRL clients are working and are becoming feature complete, this site is being fleshed out and readied to handle SQRL newbies who are interested and wishing to know more, and GRC is working to update the original SQRL documentation for those who want to understand what's under the hood. If you are new here, we recommend the following resources which you can also find on the main Forum list page:(This notice will remain here for your convenience as you wander around until you close it with the [X] at the upper right. )
    /Steve.

0.NRG

May 19, 2018
I imported my SQRL identity into the iOS client on both a newer iPhone that has Face ID as well as an older iPad with Touch ID using the same approach.

Using Steve's current SQRL Windows client #63, I displayed the QR code for my SQRL identity by doing the following: "Backup / Export Identity" button --> "Display QR Code" button (after selecting one of the radio button options above)

Once my SQRL identity was imported and set up in the iOS client on both the iPhone and iPad, I have played with and tested the iOS client a bit.

At first, attempting to log into these SQRL forums using my iPhone or iPad appeared to do nothing after I would provide the SQRL identity password. When I say "do nothing", using the client on either iPhone or iPad would not trigger the SQRL forums to ask for my two-factor authentication (2FA) code and, of course, I was not logged into the forums.

See the images below. I would get the first image error message pop-up and then the second image (working) after I touched the "OK" on the error message. The working process never stops and goes away, at least not by just waiting a minute or two. Maybe it does eventually time-out and go away. I believe I only get this error and the resulting working when flipping the "advanced option" switch in the client.

The odd thing is that for both/either devices (iPhone or iPad), other than 1) attempting to log into these SQRL forums using the iOS client a few times and 2) I think closing the app and restarting it once or twice, the client started working on both devices as long as I left the advanced option switch off and provided my SQRL identity password. When I say started working, I mean the SQRL forums would after a second or two launch the 2FA page for me to provide the code. After providing it, I would be logged in. ;-)

As long as I don't use the advanced option switch in the iOS client, the client has now been working on both devices to assist in logging me into the SQRL forums. That said, sometimes the advanced option appears to do nothing, but other times it will lead to a displayed red Touch ID symbol. The advanced option doesn't appear to work at all on my newer iPhone that has Face ID and no Touch ID sensor. However, I did get Touch ID to work one time on the iPad and I was logged into these SQRL forums without providing my SQRL identity password. My understanding is that would be the goal, to be able to use Touch ID or Face ID in lieu of having to provide the SQRL identity password. I have been unable to repeat that success.

In summary, the iOS client is buggy and certainly a work in progress, but I'll be happy to test and report so that maybe it can become a polished, stable, and well-working client. Thank you, Jeff Arthur, for your time and work on the SQRL iOS client!

-0.NRG

Jeffa

May 20, 2018
I imported my SQRL identity into the iOS client on both a newer iPhone that has Face ID as well as an older iPad with Touch ID using the same approach.

Using Steve's current SQRL Windows client #63, I displayed the QR code for my SQRL identity by doing the following: "Backup / Export Identity" button --> "Display QR Code" button (after selecting one of the radio button options above)

Once my SQRL identity was imported and set up in the iOS client on both the iPhone and iPad, I have played with and tested the iOS client a bit.

At first, attempting to log into these SQRL forums using my iPhone or iPad appeared to do nothing after I would provide the SQRL identity password. When I say "do nothing", using the client on either iPhone or iPad would not trigger the SQRL forums to ask for my two-factor authentication (2FA) code and, of course, I was not logged into the forums.

See the images below. I would get the first image error message pop-up and then the second image (working) after I touched the "OK" on the error message. The working process never stops and goes away, at least not by just waiting a minute or two. Maybe it does eventually time-out and go away. I believe I only get this error and the resulting working when flipping the "advanced option" switch in the client.

The odd thing is that for both/either devices (iPhone or iPad), other than 1) attempting to log into these SQRL forums using the iOS client a few times and 2) I think closing the app and restarting it once or twice, the client started working on both devices as long as I left the advanced option switch off and provided my SQRL identity password. When I say started working, I mean the SQRL forums would after a second or two launch the 2FA page for me to provide the code. After providing it, I would be logged in. ;-)

As long as I don't use the advanced option switch in the iOS client, the client has now been working on both devices to assist in logging me into the SQRL forums. That said, sometimes the advanced option appears to do nothing, but other times it will lead to a displayed red Touch ID symbol. The advanced option doesn't appear to work at all on my newer iPhone that has Face ID and no Touch ID sensor. However, I did get Touch ID to work one time on the iPad and I was logged into these SQRL forums without providing my SQRL identity password. My understanding is that would be the goal, to be able to use Touch ID or Face ID in lieu of having to provide the SQRL identity password. I have been unable to repeat that success.

In summary, the iOS client is buggy and certainly a work in progress, but I'll be happy to test and report so that maybe it can become a polished, stable, and well-working client. Thank you, Jeff Arthur, for your time and work on the SQRL iOS client!

-0.NRG

View attachment 109

View attachment 110
Hi,

Hi,

Your issue is my shocking UI I think.

When you first launch the app it will always prompt for a password and the touchid fingerprint will not be present.

Once you have provided your password once your identity is decrypted.
It is then used for that auth and cleared from memory.
A random key is generated and your identity is encrypted with it and stored in memory.
The key is stored in the keychain, protected with biometric auth.
If this identity is still in memory then on subsequent auths the touchid fingerprint will be presented.
If you touch the fingerprint then touchid or faceid will be attempted.
If you start to type a password then the in memory encrypted identity is removed.

Jeff

0.NRG

May 19, 2018
@Jeffa Thanks. I think I'm clear on the steps and how things work. Your description would explain why I have one time got Face ID to successfully work. I'll play with it more and think I'll be able to get more consistent results. It helps to know that if I start to type the SQRL identity password, then the in-memory encrypted identity is removed and that effectively disables my ability to use Touch/Face ID.