sqrl from a blind user's perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Reiser

Mar 19, 2019
Hello,

I just wanted to share some feedback on how the process of setting up the sqrl windows client and registering for the forum went from a blindness perspective.

1. Setting up the client was very doable with JAWS, the screen reader I'm using at the moment for Windows. The install read very well and was pretty standard. The setup process went well except for one place where I couldn't tab to the next control, I believe this was in the rescue recovery edit field but will create a new identity so I can verify this.

2. Signing up for the forum with sqrl went well once I figured out where the sign up with sqrl link was, the alt text read strangely but was easy to figure out. JAWS temperarily died at this point but I think this was a jaws issue as I was able to use windows Narrator to complete the process. I'll play with an IOS app and see how it goes.

• Love
Reactions: Dave, Steve and Hzy

Mike Reiser

Mar 19, 2019
Hello,

I just wanted to share some feedback on how the process of setting up the sqrl windows client and registering for the forum went from a blindness perspective.

1. Setting up the client was very doable with JAWS, the screen reader I'm using at the moment for Windows. The install read very well and was pretty standard. The setup process went well except for one place where I couldn't tab to the next control, I believe this was in the rescue recovery edit field but will create a new identity so I can verify this.

2. Signing up for the forum with sqrl went well once I figured out where the sign up with sqrl link was, the alt text read strangely but was easy to figure out. JAWS temperarily died at this point but I think this was a jaws issue as I was able to use windows Narrator to complete the process. I'll play with an IOS app and see how it goes.
Just a quick update, I tried Jeff's IOS client last night. There were some unlabeled buttons which I reported to Jeff, but I think the biggest challenge will be scanning the QR code to import your identity. When I I'm in the sqrl client on windows and go to display the QR code, where is the QR code on the screen so I can try to insure my phone's camera is pointed in the right place? Thanks,

Mike

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Hi Mike! (And welcome to the forums, by the way!)

I don't understand your question. In the Windows client, you click on "Backup / Export Identity" then "Display QR Code" and you're then looking at your SQRL identity QR code for scanning by any other app. Am I not understanding your question?

Mike Reiser

Mar 19, 2019
Hi Mike! (And welcome to the forums, by the way!)

I don't understand your question. In the Windows client, you click on "Backup / Export Identity" then "Display QR Code" and you're then looking at your SQRL identity QR code for scanning by any other app. Am I not understanding your question?
the problem is is that when I select export and then display qrCode, my screen reader doesn't announce what the qr code is or even tell me that I'm on it. I'm trying to aim my phone's camera at the QR code so it can be imported. My question is is when the dialog is up that is displaying the QR code, is the code in the center of the screen or somewhere else? What I hope to do is place my finger in the spot where the qr code is and hopefully get the phone's camera pointed in that direction. I hope this makes sense.

Mike

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Ah. Yes. I see the problem. FWIW, the QR code will ALWAYS be displayed in the same physical location. It's just above and left of the screen's center.

Status
Not open for further replies.