SQRL Essentials in French

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabrice Neuman

Mar 11, 2019
France
www.pro-fusion.biz
Hi all,

I started to translate the SQRL Essentials documentation into French. @Steve was kind enough to add a French flag on the SQRL Essentials page, which links to a PDF with my translation. I am not yet done with all of it, still working on the "What if" section. If there are any other French speakers around, please do tell me if you find typos, mistakes and/or improvements to the text. I will gladly amend to make it better.

Also, @Jeffa and @kalaspuffar, do tell me if you think you need a hand in the French department, I will gladly participate to widen the appeal to SQRL in my native language.

I was also thinking that to the best of my abilities I could answer questions from French users when they come, maybe on that thread to start with.

Thanks

Reactions: shanedk

Dave

May 19, 2018
Gardner, MA
Hi all,

I started to translate the SQRL Essentials documentation into French. @Steve was kind enough to add a French flag on the SQRL Essentials page, which links to a PDF with my translation. I am not yet done with all of it, still working on the "What if" section. If there are any other French speakers around, please do tell me if you find typos, mistakes and/or improvements to the text. I will gladly amend to make it better.

Also, @Jeffa and @kalaspuffar, do tell me if you think you need a hand in the French department, I will gladly participate to widen the appeal to SQRL in my native language.

I was also thinking that to the best of my abilities I could answer questions from French users when they come, maybe on that thread to start with.

Thanks
Now SQRL can be used in Canada! ;-)

[Canadian law requires everything be available in both French and English. Or so I am told.]

Reactions: Fabrice Neuman

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Canadian law requires everything be available in both French and English
The federal government is required to service any citizen in their choice of French or English. but that doesn't apply to the provinces. Quebec, the "French" province is not a bilingual province, it is unilingually French and has a law, Bill 101, that requires French to be more prominent whenever both are present... so no... sadly... Canada has no such law--at least not one that applies universally.

Dave

May 19, 2018
Gardner, MA
The federal government is required to service any citizen in their choice of French or English. but that doesn't apply to the provinces. Quebec, the "French" province is not a bilingual province, it is unilingually French and has a law, Bill 101, that requires French to be more prominent whenever both are present... so no... sadly... Canada has no such law--at least not one that applies universally.
Thanks for the clarification, Paul! I work for a Canadian company. I knew there were some requirements that have had to be addressed, internally and in products. And it seems like most, if not all, employee policy documents are available in both French and English.

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
Thanks for offering your help, Fabrice! The french translation of the Android app is currently only 85% complete, so your help would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards, Alex

sengsational

Feb 17, 2019
Fabrice,

For the Android client, here are some links...

English: https://github.com/kalaspuffar/secu...ob/master/app/src/main/res/values/strings.xml
French: https://github.com/kalaspuffar/secu...master/app/src/main/res/values-fr/strings.xml

It appears that some are already translated, but near the bottom, still English. If you know how to collaborate with github, you're all set, but if you don't want to fiddle with that, I (or someone that already figured out github) can help get your changes in.

Fabrice Neuman

Mar 11, 2019
France
www.pro-fusion.biz
Fabrice,

For the Android client, here are some links...

English: https://github.com/kalaspuffar/secu...ob/master/app/src/main/res/values/strings.xml
French: https://github.com/kalaspuffar/secu...master/app/src/main/res/values-fr/strings.xml

It appears that some are already translated, but near the bottom, still English. If you know how to collaborate with github, you're all set, but if you don't want to fiddle with that, I (or someone that already figured out github) can help get your changes in.
Thanks, I will take a look.

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
Hi @Fabrice Neuman and @sengsational ,

I think for the the translations of the Android app, we should use the POeditor link on the github readme.md instead of going through Github directly.
I had a link to the POeditor translation already posted here before sengsationals post, but that one got stuck in the "waiting for moderator approval" queue.

Best regards, Alex

Reactions: kalaspuffar

kheops74

Feb 15, 2019
By the way, any idea if the iOS app will be available in French too? The main problem for the translation is to use the same words everywhere (Forum, @Steve client, Android, @Jeffa iOS, etc). Maybe in the future, a French glossary must be created.

Is this tool will be only use by Steve : https://crowdin.com/project/sqrl

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
It is my intention for any SQRL client that wishes to be able to use and/or extract the translated UI strings from the strings files. I will make them freely available. The file is simply a list of numbered strings.

Reactions: Fabrice Neuman

Fabrice Neuman

Mar 11, 2019
France
www.pro-fusion.biz
Reactions: sengsational

kieric82

Mar 13, 2019
Now SQRL can be used in Canada! ;-)

[Canadian law requires everything be available in both French and English. Or so I am told.]
Hi Dave,

I'm a French Canadian, and there's is no restrictions for using an English only software in Canada. That said, there's the Province (State like for US) of Québec which il apply this kind of limitations to commercial activities but the Internet itself is not blocked. So anyone (individuals) willing to can use English only software.

My concern would only in Enterprises, where they will be forced to decline the use of SQRL if it's not available in French for both the software AND the documentation.

By the way, I'm very happy to see there's work going on this topic. Is there a way I can help and how?

cc @Steve

Fabrice Neuman

Mar 11, 2019
France
www.pro-fusion.biz
By the way, I'm very happy to see there's work going on this topic. Is there a way I can help and how?

cc @Steve
Well, I think the first thing is to wait for Steve to be ready to provide the multi-lingual resource file so that we can work on the French version of the app itself (and hopefully other languages as well). That would be a great step forward to help SQRL dissemination. I understand Steve has many fish to fry, so it's not going to be right away. But I'm happy that he totally planned it out for his app to be available in as many languages as possible.

fabriceroux

Jun 14, 2019
Hi all,
Another french Fabrice reporting for duty from windy Marseille, southern France. YES I'm aware that the troops have almost left this battlefield. :)

I'm happy to see that a classic trap of french infosec was avoided. The english "Decrypt" is not supposed to be translated as "Décrypter" but as "Déchiffrer". Our national information security agency ANSSI released an animated GIF about this. The forum refuses my 3.8MB file: "The uploaded file is too large for the server to process.". 😬

ps: given the statistics of first name Fabrice in France, we should be both in the 48 years old ballpark. I'm a tad younger.

Fabrice Neuman

Mar 11, 2019
France
www.pro-fusion.biz
Hi @fabriceroux, nicely done on the age assessment 😉. I did try to avoid "décrypter". Although you might have noticed my use of "réencypter" when talking about "re-encrypting" the SQRL Identity. "Rechiffrer" in that context didn't ring right to me, but I admit I debated with myself on it for the reason you mentioned. Do you have a take on this?

fabriceroux

Jun 14, 2019
In crypto parlance the action of permanently changing an encryption key is called "key rotation" which gives "rotation de clé" in french. But I'm pretty sure the target audience is not familiar with the crypto jargon. :)

Also I'm not sure in your case it was a permanent key change or just the QuickPass temporary encryption. In both cases, we can get away with chiffrer. In the first case "chiffré avec la nouvelle clé", in the second "chiffré avec une clé temporaire".

PHolder

May 19, 2018
QuickPass ... the second "chiffré avec une clé temporaire".
A temporary password is not what the QuickPass is. It is a faster way to unlock your identity by typing in a portion of your longer password... I think you need a phrasing that is more related to quickness and ease of password input or identity unlock and less one about a temporary key.

Status
Not open for further replies.