Sqrl demo period and "An account with this username already exists"

Status
Not open for further replies.

postie

Mar 13, 2019
Hi all,

Very cool to see SQRL being in use.

Back around Nov 30 2018 there was a demo implementation of SQRL up. I created a few accounts to test it out. When I try to log in using those account names, I am told the passwords are wrong, but also that the accounts exist.

1. Can anyone confirm - do those demo accounts still exist?

2. If yes, and I'm being told the passwords are wrong (I'm confident they are not), are the accounts lost to me for good? They had some account login names I would like to have.

3. If no ... well, it just seems unlikely that all of them are already taken , some are pretty simple and I could kinda believe they have since been 'taken', but some are not super obvious such as "bernie2" and I would be surprised if so many accounts have been created that these type of account names have all been used already. Correct me if I am wrong.

I have not installed the SQRL client yet (not now and not back then - if it was even available back then). I am just using the page on this server that invites you to sign in or create accounts.

Thanks all, and awesome stuff, I hope sqrl really takes over.

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
@postie : As the forum's admin I'm able to do all of those things. I will open a "conversation" with you here, which is private between us. Then you can tell me what accounts are in question and I can tell you their status and we ca re-establish your access. I'll open the conversation in 30 seconds...

postie

Mar 13, 2019
Hi, I'm not sure if you are there right now? I'll say what the accounts were...

dr

darcyr

darcy

drobinson

darryl

lisa

mike

bernie1

bernie2

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Hi @postie : I've replied in our private conversation. But I'm super-busy (as you can probably imagine), so I'm hoping that you will ask some questions here in public which some of the kind and gentle folks here can answer for you. As I noted in private, I cannot see the need to create multiple accounts here. And since NONE of the account names you provided (above) are registered (except Mike, but that's not you) I am wondering whether you may have created individual SQRL identities on some client, each with those names? Anyway... I know that the good people here can help! :)

PHolder

May 19, 2018
demo implementation of SQRL up
So I presume the confusion here is that there have been many demo implementations of a SQRL authentication, and NONE of them are this site. Whatever you think you created accounts on is nothing of consequence. Perhaps you are confused that SQRL is not "a thing" it's a protocol, and each site has its own implementation... Thus there is no "first" or "land rush" to allocate user IDs.

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Ah! I'm sure you're right, Paul. @postie must have been refering to the sqrl.grc.com/demo site which we would have been playing with then.

@postie : If that's true I'm afraid that there's nothing I can do. If it was life or death I could, but I never build account management tools for that since it was just a demo playground. :)

postie

Mar 13, 2019
Thanks to all. That is exactly what happened. Some days I am intelligent but not yesterday, I was struggling to understand what all the bits and pieces of SQRL, and this forum, are, or are not. Thanks for the additional info Paul confirming that SQRL user IDs won't be subject to the 'land rush' issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.