Fixed shorten the reload countdown from 5 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

diabolic

Oct 18, 2019
Hi Daniel, I'm trying to change the QR code reload timer from 5 seconds to something shorter. I dug through your code and found a variable, countDown, in reload.js.

However, I'm noticing that changing this number, as well as the hardcoded countDown=6 code doesn't seem to change the timer. No matter what I set it to, it's always 5 seconds. I even tried reloading the plugin completely and it doesn't seem to change.

Can you help?

And did you find that anything broken when set shorter than 5 seconds?

diabolic

Oct 18, 2019
it seems it was something to do with caching the .js files. When I incremented the version number of the plugin, it started working. I guess I'll fork this.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
There is no reason to reduce this, you're just adding more load on most people's browser who don't actually use the QR code.

diabolic

Oct 18, 2019
There is no reason to reduce this, you're just adding more load on most people's browser who don't actually use the QR code.
I disagree. 5 seconds is too slow for me. And not sure load is much of a concern for my site since I don't run ads, which are a way bigger load.

diabolic

Oct 18, 2019
Good news. I figured it out. Turns out Wordpress Cloudflare caches the css files and doesn't reload them on demand. Now I have a much more reasonable timeout.

yay!

Last edited:

PHolder

May 19, 2018
not sure load is much of a concern for my site
The script doesn't run on your site. It runs in EVERY browser of EVERY client who visits your page, even if they're just sitting there doing nothing. It's sitting there, generating traffic, wasting cycles, for a feature that almost no one will ever use... and a feature that offers less security at the same time.

MarkJH

Aug 18, 2020
I think it’s healthy to encourage adoption across the board accepting constructive criticism and feedback along the way. SQRL outperforms antiquated passwords by eons in the safety of the incubated lab environment in which it was developed. End users – both site owners and visitors – need to see the advantages clearly.

What the project needs now is to break the cycle of chicken and egg. No adoption by sites means no need for a user base. No user base, and sites won’t adopt it.

We need this feedback if the UX feels clunky or slow. As for the reduced security, whilst true it’s marginal at best and the decision there lies in the site owner. If users don’t want a QR code reloading constantly on the login page (only), they’ll switch, or login. Simple!

I’d like to approach the people I work with to see if we can add this to our apps and on our retail sites. I need to see the benefits the everyday general public will get from this, and in turn the company, so all discussion is useful.

Reactions: harrisonthesericin
Status
Not open for further replies.