Remove identity

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

ScottWhite

Jul 7, 2019
I'm trying to clear the existing identity from the windows client but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. In my case, this is for development, but I think this would be nice in some circumstances, like returning a work laptop when switching jobs. Is this feature hidden someplace where I can't see it? Or do I have to find the storage area and delete manually?

Thanks,
Scott

Alan M Cameron

Feb 7, 2019
alancameron.net
I think you will find that the identity is stored in C:\Windows \Users\{Username}\ Documents\sqrl.

In my case there are four identities which was for testing multiple SQRL identities.
You perhaps should also use rmsqrl.exe found on Steve's site, not sure exactly where.
It should clear the existing sqrl.exe and that is about all you would need to remove to return a laptop.
You may of course have stored the identity somewhere else on the disk, only you can know where.

shanedk

May 20, 2018
As Alan said, it's in My Documents in the "sqrl" subfolder, but in order to really remove it, you'd either have to use Eraser to wipe the blocks if it's a HDD, or use the TRIM command after deleting if it's an SSD.

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
I agree with Scott, a "remove identity" option should be in every client imho. I know people with 20+ years of (work related) computer exposure that still can't make sense of this thing called "file system".

ScottWhite

Jul 7, 2019
I agree with Scott, a "remove identity" option should be in every client imho. I know people with 20+ years of (work related) computer exposure that still can't make sense of this thing called "file system".
I guess I should be in that bucket since I saw the files in Documents but assumed those were backups or exports or something. It's been almost 15 years since I used Windows regularly and I remembered it was standard procedure for apps to hide their data in the registry or some buried "Application Data" path. I guess I just assumed SQRL worked that way.

This way it seem almost too easy to remove ;)
Thanks everyone for pointing out the obvious for me.