Release v1.0.3

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

kalaspuffar

May 19, 2018
Sweden
coderinsights.com
Hi gang

I did a quick release this evening to update the meta_key values and add a warning about using SSL.
As this is a breaking change I upgraded to the next major release.

New installations will not see any changes. The upgrade code will be in the plugin for a couple of weeks so everyone's databases will be updated.
This update will copy the values from the set of metadata fields to another set, so the original data will still be there.

Improvements
* Update meta_key values to have prefix.
* Warn users who don’t have SSL enabled.

To manually upgrade to the new version you need to run the following commands:

UPDATE wp_usermeta SET meta_key = 'sqrl_idk' WHERE meta_key = 'idk';
UPDATE wp_usermeta SET meta_key = 'sqrl_suk' WHERE meta_key = 'suk';
UPDATE wp_usermeta SET meta_key = 'sqrl_vuk' WHERE meta_key = 'vuk';

Thank you for your time.

Best regards
Daniel

Last edited:

Once set this cannot be

Jun 27, 2019
Currently on 1.0.3 and working. When the update to 1.0.2 broke my system, I was able to get into my WP admin through my webhost's Softaculous admin link to the WP backend. I then disassociated my existing SQRL ID and re-associated it and didn't have to edit DB manually. I didn't want to open that box of worms as I am currently working my job and those duties come before debugging DB issues, so elected to try the 'click and see' approach.

brianoflondon

Nov 22, 2018
I can see from Wordpress.com that my site auto updated to 1.0.2 at 12:54am my time. After that I was unable to log in as admin but the site was running. I can see that people created accounts during the night but I couldn't do anything. At 8:25am the site was unresponsive and I'm online with host support now.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
It would have been nice if the auto upgrade wouldn't upgrade between major version changes without warning, no? (I know nothing about WordPress so I don't even know if the auto upgrade has any smarts or not.)

Reactions: kalaspuffar

Ashley Cawley

Jun 20, 2019
Thanks for the continued work and efforts Daniel!

Just to clarify and please forgive my naivity; but was it expected to break then? Myself had another colleague here at work have your SQRL Plugin enabled on two of our websites and we both had difficulty logging in using SQRL, after we logged in with passwords it was as though the SQRL identity had become disassociated with the WordPress profile that it was previously tied to.

If that was expected behavior that was unavoidable in the jump past v1 then that is fine, I'm just looking to see if that was expected or if we were experiencing something different that is all. The two websites we are playing around with it are only personal / test websites.

Vela Nanashi

May 19, 2018
Because the columns SQRL uses in the user database changed names from version 0.something to 1.something, all accounts would lose their association with SQRL, and if there are accounts that only have SQRL authentication then that would be lost. The instructions for how to rename the columns was mentioned in the first post in this thread. Going forward that should probably not be needed again. Now that the column names are prefixed with sqrl_

Jul 13, 2019
I have a brand new AMP website and can't login to the comments section. I deactivated the AMP plugin and tried again, but still can't login. I get the "SQRL was unable to login to this site. Please refresh the page...." Anyone successfully login to a wordpress comment section?

PHolder

May 19, 2018
AMP website
I'm not up on all the WordPress ins and outs, but I wanted to clarify that you have installed WordPress on your Apache, MySQL, PHP server and have installed the SQRL plugin into WordPress and then you have configured it, and that your WordPress configuration allows the creation of new accounts.

Vela Nanashi

May 19, 2018
As far as I know that has allowed several places to have functioning account creation and login to comment sections (I think both are required), though I have to be honest that I have not felt like trying out commenting on any of the blogs with it installed, but it is clearly possible, if the proper requirements are met :)

Jul 13, 2019
@PHolder I got it working. Thanks for mentioning WP account creation. I did some searching and found there is another check box under a different sub-menu that needs checking. I'm new to WP and I like it, but things are spread out. It always seems like one has to go in to several different menus just to achieve a single outcome.

***Setting Up the Plugin for Blog Commenting***

1. Goto Settings > General and scroll down to "Membership" and select "Anyone can register".
2. Select "Subscriber" under New User Default Role. I have read this is the most restrictive of the user roles. There is a way to customize user roles further in some other menu.
3. Goto Settings > Discussion > Other comment settings and check "Users must be registered and logged in to comment"

That's it.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
@PHolder I got it working. Thanks for mentioning WP account creation.
This is great news @David Bucienski. This has been a recurring problem for new users, so hopefully @kalaspuffar can take some effort to assist. (Daniel, would it be possible to have your plugin note on its configuration if account creation is disabled and provide an info and link to the correct place to fix it?)

Gristle

Feb 16, 2019
I'm no longer contributing to this community because the moderator (PHolder) is too closed minded to allow differing options to be expressed freely on this forum. I've been harassed too many times by this little person and he's made it clear I'm not welcome here.

Last edited: