Question about installing on second machine

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

Ferd

Jul 15, 2019
I set up SQRL successfully last night on my personal PC for the first time, created my new identity and everything is working great. I also set it up on my Android phone. So as I needed to install it on my laptop I copied the SQRL installer and my .sqrl file to my private cloud so I could access them both.

I went through the installation expecting to have to import my identity but after the installer finished nothing much seemed to happen and SQRL was sitting in the system tray. When I opened it up to my surprise I saw that my identity was already loaded - I was not asked for my password or rescue code..

Now I thought I had read the explainer document quite well but I don't recall reading that this would happen but maybe I missed it - how did SQRL know to load my identity?

PHolder

May 19, 2018
I'm guessing you copied both files into the same directory. When sqrl.exe runs, it looks to see if there is any .sqrl file(s) in the same folder, and if so, it assumes it is running in "portable mode", like off a USB stick. This is probably not what you wanted. You want SQRL installed on your pc. You can simply move the .sqrl file out of the folder the .exe is in, or copy the .exe to your desktop or something, and run it from there, and as long as it doesn't find the .sqrl file in the same folder, is should look to find it in the usual "My Documents" location, which will fail, and it should then assume it's a fresh install and do what you expect.

Reactions: Ferd

Ferd

Jul 15, 2019
Aha, I see now. When I closed and re-opened SQRL from the Start menu it then behaved as you said and I needed to import the identity. Very clever.

Thanks for the advice, I'll know better for next time.