QR Code (& TextVersion) Different Between iOS & Windows

RMSiegel

Jun 13, 2019
All,

Just finished installing the latest iOS version from Jeff on my iPhone 12 and a clean first time install of the Windows client on a recently refurbished older laptop (Win10 with new SDD). I imported my identity into the laptop and iPhone from a printed export of my identity from my desktop machine.

When I create backups for the EXACT SAME identity in the IOS client and the Windows client I get different QR codes and of course different textual versions of the QR code. Backups are created with the same options; encrypted with password AND Rescue Code. Is this expected behavior? Is there something OS or machine specific when the backup QR code is created even though both are for the same identity?

Also BTW Steve, a good note to add to your documentation about making a printed identity backup is to NOT fold the paper in such a way that the folds go through the QR code (a big duh on my part). I happened to fold my backup so that vertical and horizontal folds crossed right in the middle of the QR code. Try as I might to flatten the paper I could not get my laptop's camera to recognize the QR code. I had to manually enter the text version. However, the iPhone was able to properly recognize the code (yay iPhone!).

Thanks In Advance,
Bob Siegel

PHolder

May 19, 2018
When I create backups for the EXACT SAME identity in the IOS client and the Windows client I get different QR codes and of course different textual versions of the QR code.
Yes, this is normal. It's not EXACTLY the same, just functionally identical. It's been too long and I've forgotten the exact details of the file format, but I presume there is randomness involved in the encryption used to store the file.

Jeffa

May 20, 2018
All,

Just finished installing the latest iOS version from Jeff on my iPhone 12 and a clean first time install of the Windows client on a recently refurbished older laptop (Win10 with new SDD). I imported my identity into the laptop and iPhone from a printed export of my identity from my desktop machine.

When I create backups for the EXACT SAME identity in the IOS client and the Windows client I get different QR codes and of course different textual versions of the QR code. Backups are created with the same options; encrypted with password AND Rescue Code. Is this expected behavior? Is there something OS or machine specific when the backup QR code is created even though both are for the same identity?

I can see how the QR might look different, as that will likely be related to the settings chosen for QR generation and the library being used to generate.
I think that the text should be the same though, unless the import requests a password and re encrypts.

Jeffa

May 20, 2018
There was a bug in the textual id generation of my client. This has now been fixed, since build number 3407

RMSiegel

Jun 13, 2019
Yes, this is normal. It's not EXACTLY the same, just functionally identical. It's been too long and I've forgotten the exact details of the file format, but I presume there is randomness involved in the encryption used to store the file.
Thanks for the clarification. I found this very confusing and made me think something was corrupted in my identity. I wonder if there's a way to confirm everything is correct if and when this occurs for others.

Bob