Protocol or Link functionality

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavaughan

Nov 21, 2018
Thanks for the Linux instructions. Got it working on Solus OS, however, in order to log in to GRC's demo, I have to run a sqrl command from the command line. Surely there's a way to tell, in my case, Firefox how to interpret the sqrl:// link or protocol?
Also, seems odd, but when I run the sqrl command an authorization pop up happens. I found I have to enter my recovery code (?!), then a bar goes across about 3 times, as I recall, which takes a good minute or so to finish, and then I am logged in. But I edited my sqrl.ini file with that very information.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
If the protocol (QRL/SQRL in this case) is registered with the OS, then it should show up as editable in Firefox in the following place:

FirefoxProtocolEdit.png
But this won't help you at all if it's not already known. The process to get it known seems a little "icky" ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Register_protocol ).

So it looks like you need to do:

Code:
  gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/sqrl/command '/path/to/sqrlApp %s' --type String
  gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/sqrl/enabled --type Boolean true

N

nst0022

Summary of the Mozilla link for Firefox 3.5 and later:

• Enter "about:config" in the URL box
  • Right-click any table entry
  • Select "New, "Boolean" from the pop-up
  • Enter preference name = "network.protocol-handler.expose.sqrl"
  • Press "Ok" button
  • Select "false"
  • Press "Ok" button

verify:

• Go to https://sqrl.grc.com/demo
  • Click on "Sign-in with SQRL"
  • A Firefox dialog pops up: "This link needs to be opened with an application", "Choose", ...

Note: This does not work, if you have the SQRL extension installed, which takes precedence.

N

nst0022

This is what I did for Google Chrome and for Chromium, both version 72.0

In ~/.local/share/applications I created a file "sqrl_url.desktop" with this content:

Code:
[Desktop Entry]               
Name=sqrl url handler         
Exec=sqrl %u                   
Type=Application               
Terminal=false                 
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/sqrl;
I have my "sqrl" client in my PATH, otherwise I had to fully qualify the "Exec" parameter.

Then in Chromium, after clicking "Sign in with SQRL" on https://sqrl.grc.com/demo, this dialog appeared:

I checked "Alwas open ..." and clicked "Open xdg-open".

Then, as expected, the password dialog of my SQRL client appeared.

DetlevSchm

Mar 4, 2019
sqrl_url.desktop
You might experience the following glitch:

After the SQRL client is started, another browser window opens.

According to someone on the Internet, "some older" xdg-open scripts do that.

To remedy this, I edited my /usr/bin/xdg-open :

So far, I did not encounter any unwanted side-effects.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
I don't speak this dialect of what looks like csh, but I will say what it looks like this change does is make all launches act successful, even those that failed. You've added an unconditional "say it was successful" right before a check that says "if it was successful, say so".

DetlevSchm

Mar 4, 2019
@PHolder: I know.

(2) is the place, where the application is started. Any more processing after that is not desired and not necessary from a (my) logic standpoint. In fact, it unsolicitedly starts the browser later (I don't know where, I did not want to spend too much time with analyzing).

After all, xdg-open just starts an application or not. It does no harm by itself.

If I ever get a problem with xdg-open in the future, I know where to look first :).

Status
Not open for further replies.