progress on linux version?

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

markboston35

Jun 1, 2019
so i notice there hasn't been any activity on the git repo since last year just wondering what the status is? i would be willing and im sure others as well to donate money for your time. ive tried Steve's windows version and it does work in wine but im not sure how to get it to authenticate sites on the linux side.

ansirois

May 29, 2019
I presently use a Debian GNU/Linux 9 distribution. Started to play around with SQRL and installed the extension in Firefox and voila, SQRL works.

Frantz

Mar 17, 2019
I use Linux Mint and the Chrome SQRL extension, version 0.0.40, works well. I am not sure if we need special Linux client version.

Dave

May 19, 2018
Gardner, MA
I use Linux Mint and the Chrome SQRL extension, version 0.0.40, works well. I am not sure if we need special Linux client version.
Even The Big G has said that, if he were starting this today, he would probably have written the reference/POC client as a browser extension rather than a Windoze app. Of course, he would have written it in WebAssembly. ;-) So, it seems like, until and unless SQRL steps out of the HTTP realm, or if you want to point your web cam at another computer to log into something, nobody needs a native desktop client.

ramriot

May 24, 2018
Even The Big G has said that, if he were starting this today, he would probably have written the reference/POC client as a browser extension rather than a Windoze app. Of course, he would have written it in WebAssembly. ;-) So, it seems like, until and unless SQRL steps out of the HTTP realm, or if you want to point your web cam at another computer to log into something, nobody needs a native desktop client.
Just FYI, the remote authentication mode using QR-Codes is much less secure than Same Device mode & should probably not be highlighted for general use.

markboston35

Jun 1, 2019
yeah this is also what i ended up doing after generating my sqrl id on my windows box. everything is moving to the cloud pretty much who would of saw that in 2013? not really a developer but i dabble how hard would it be to make a sqrl pwa?

that seems to be the direction of the world maybe Steve or someone should focus on that.

bill_mcgonigle

Jun 20, 2019
Just FYI, the remote authentication mode using QR-Codes is much less secure than Same Device mode & should probably not be highlighted for general use.
Same device vs. same process space, though. Out-of-band ought to be more secure in a separate memory space. I'd appreciate the million-dollar ask message being very isolated from the Chrome bug surface. Maybe in a different cgroup, grsecurity hardened, or more robust measures.

Yamabushi

Jul 13, 2019
Kubuntu user here, Windows free in my house for 5+ years now. Currently running the Windows SQRL client in Wine on Kubuntu, the Chrome and Firefox extensions, as well as the Android client. All that being said, whilst there is not an absolute necessity, it would be nice to have a native Linux client.

Martin Holmes

Feb 17, 2019
I think for adoption to be successful, the Linux user community has to be a priority; a huge proportion of the people actually responsible for security in institutions and corporations are Linux users, and they're unlikely to take seriously a security initiative that doesn't have full native support for Linux. These are often the people making recommendations and setting policies for organizations that take security seriously. If Linux is neglected, I don't think SQRL will take hold.