Problem with surface pro.

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

Brian T

Jul 2, 2019
I installed the SQRL client on my Surface, imported the identity file from my main workstation. I tried to log in to the demo website using sqrl, but the site popped up a modal dialog for my password, I was unable to start the soft keyboard, had to get the Bluetooth keyboard out of my bag.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
but the site popped up a modal dialog for my password
The site, or the client? It is probably the screen darkening feature of the GRC SQRL Client and you can disable that in the settings and see if the problem persists. (This will be good information to know for @Steve, even if there is nothing he can do but add it to the list of known issues.)

Reactions: Dave

Brian T

Jul 2, 2019
Yes, that was the issue, I now understand what he's trying to do with the screen darkening feature. The problem here is not just the Surface - its any tablet device that needs a finger poke to start the soft keyboard. A tricky one to solve. I'll ponder.
Very keen to integrate the server component into a site on our Windows servers. We're on Bizspark, so all our activity is in Azure, I'd love to be able to offer SQRL to our customers. @Steve

PHolder

May 19, 2018
@Steve is there any Windows API you can invoke on the new screen to cause the keyboard to automatically show on the new screen on soft keyboard requiring devices?

Reactions: Dave

Brian T

Jul 2, 2019
In earlier builds of Windows 10 in tablet mode (no keyboard) if the user focussed on a text field it automatically brought up the soft keyboard. It still does on our Windows 8.1 phones (Lumia 920). On the Surface desktop that doesn't seem to happen any more.
I don't have access to any other Windoes 10 tablets. My buddy next door has an iPad, when there is a build of the client for IoS, I'll ask him to try it.

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Very keen to integrate the server component into a site on our Windows servers. We're on Bizspark, so all our activity is in Azure, I'd love to be able to offer SQRL to our customers. @Steve
Well... I'm prioritizing the way the hours of my day are spent. And I have a mature and very smoothly-operating SQRL extension for Windows IIS web servers. It's what this forum and the https://sqrl.grc.com/demo and https://sqrl.grc.com/msa sites use. It's a 32-bit ISAPI that runs beautifully on 32 or 64-bit servers. (I'm running all 64-bits now.) The trouble is... I don't have a careful hand-holding step-by-step user's deployment guide put together yet. I have the whole thing running on a VMware VM which I've provided to several developers. So I guess the question is... how much hand holding would you need? :)

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
@Steve is there any Windows API you can invoke on the new screen to cause the keyboard to automatically show on the new screen on soft keyboard requiring devices?
It looks like there are several ways to do that. I've added to this the next release features. :)

Brian T

Jul 2, 2019
Well... I'm prioritizing the way the hours of my day are spent. And I have a mature and very smoothly-operating SQRL extension for Windows IIS web servers. It's what this forum and the https://sqrl.grc.com/demo and https://sqrl.grc.com/msa sites use. It's a 32-bit ISAPI that runs beautifully on 32 or 64-bit servers. (I'm running all 64-bits now.) The trouble is... I don't have a careful hand-holding step-by-step user's deployment guide put together yet. I have the whole thing running on a VMware VM which I've provided to several developers. So I guess the question is... how much hand holding would you need? :)
Understood - we all have to prioritise (yes, I'm a Brit)...😃
I'm looking at this in my downtime, but I have been using the SQRL client to post to a test web server locally, it seems ok, except after a couple of failed logins, the client is no longer activated by the sqrl scheme. That may be my environment, so I haven't posted a bug.
I've got access to any number of azure web apps for fiddling with - I have a legacy webforms app I could try, its a simple minimal blog, no database behind it, its all Azure table storage, so I can easily add the SQRL identity. I think this concept has legs, as they said in "Bourne Identity", I've not mentioned it yet to a customer, I want to ensure I understand it well enough to support it...!