Possibility to use the fingerprint reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sludgeguts

Jul 15, 2018
Norway
Being able to log in to the website on my desktop and on my mobile and using the iris scanner of the Galaxy Note 8. Amazing.

But, will the ability to use the fingerprint scanner be possible soon???

Sludgeguts

Jul 15, 2018
Norway
Android pie on my phone but I still cannot use the fingerprint keeps asking to scan my eyes. What am I doing wrong

PHolder

May 19, 2018
cannot use the fingerprint keeps asking to scan my eyes
Well first and foremost, have you set up the fingerprint reader (trained it etc)? Perhaps you set that up first then turned on the eye scanner? In any case, I suspect the problem is the OS decides, and not the SQRL app. So configure the OS to not use eyes (disable it) and see what happens?

Sludgeguts

Jul 15, 2018
Norway
Well first and foremost, have you set up the fingerprint reader (trained it etc)? Perhaps you set that up first then turned on the eye scanner? In any case, I suspect the problem is the OS decides, and not the SQRL app. So configure the OS to not use eyes (disable it) and see what happens?
Ill try that thanks for the tip

shanedk

May 20, 2018
It may not be possible; the app may defer that decision completely to the OS and it's whatever the user has set up there.

Dave

May 19, 2018
Gardner, MA
It's already there, but it requires Android Pie.
Verizon finally started serving Pie to us old Note 8 owners. I have long used fingerprint scanning for unlock and such. But it was not an option in the SQRL app.

Until... I went into Settings -> Biometrics and security -> Biometrics preferences -> Preferred biometric

There, even though "Fingerprint" was the only one listed/enabled, I had to select the radio button for Fingerprint.
THEN I was able to use a fingerprint with SQRL.

Reactions: kalaspuffar

kalaspuffar

May 19, 2018
Sweden
coderinsights.com
This sounds like a worthy thing to note in a FAQ.
Yes, Verizon or Samsung should inform the user that their Android operating system will not prompt them with a Fingerprint challenge if they don't select it as a preferred option in their settings menus. Strange that you need to supply that if you only have supplied fingerprint but some manufacturers want you to jump through some hoops I guess.

Dave

May 19, 2018
Gardner, MA
Yes, Verizon or Samsung should inform the user that their Android operating system will not prompt them with a Fingerprint challenge if they don't select it as a preferred option in their settings menus. Strange that you need to supply that if you only have supplied fingerprint but some manufacturers want you to jump through some hoops I guess.
@kalaspuffar, I think, perhaps, @PHolder was suggesting that, since it could be a problem that many people encounter, it might be useful to add that to the FAQ for your App, even if it isn't your issue.

Reactions: leilabd

Chauncy

May 30, 2018
When using the App, I am not seeing any options to use bio-metrics on my Galaxy S9+. I have finger print set and working with LastPass and two banking apps.

My phone is configured as follows:
  • Android 9
  • Option to use finger print in settings is set
  • SQRL App ver 0.14.0

It shows password entry field only after:
1) Scanning QR code using desktop computer
or
2) touching the QR code using the phones browser

When scanning QR Code I get this screen:

When using the phone's browser I get this screen:

kalaspuffar

May 19, 2018
Sweden
coderinsights.com
Hi @Chauncy

Great work so far. The biometrics comes into the picture as a simple quick way to re-auth to the application after you've supplied the long password. So we don't save any biometrics keys as a main source of authentication only as quickpass.

So if you log in to one site using your full password and you need to log into another you may use your fingerprint as a quicker way to authenticate. We have talked about adding support for biometrics as a primary way to authenticate the user but have not implemented that option yet.

Seems you found a bug with the first image where the popup windows constrained layout seems to flake out and not show the buttons correctly. We will add that to the lists of bugs to look into further.

Thank you for your time and your report.

Best regards
Daniel

Chauncy

May 30, 2018
Seems you found a bug with the first image where the popup windows constrained layout seems to flake out and not show the buttons correctly. We will add that to the lists of bugs to look into further.
Yes, I thought that was a bug. Thanks for your explanation of how the biometrics currently works. It was not clear to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.