POLL: How did you backup your SQRL identity?

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

How did you backup your SQRL identity?

• Printed it out on paper

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • Stored it safely on a USB key

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Have it in the cloud

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Have it on multiple devices

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I don't have a backup (oops)

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

PHolder

May 19, 2018
In the vein of this poll https://sqrl.grc.com/threads/poll-where-did-you-really-put-your-rescue-code.926/ I thought we should also ask this question of our forum participants.

How did you backup your SQRL identity? You do understand you need it along with your rescue code in order to actually have your identity... the rescue code is not enough by itself.

Let me know if you think I missed an option others would expect, and I will edit it in.

Carl

May 19, 2018
Well, the obvious (bad) alternative that is not listed yet in the poll is "No backup."

I have yet to make a backup myself, but as I wrote in the other poll thread, I think it's time to start treating one's little squirrel with care.

Once set this cannot be

Jun 27, 2019
I originally created a SQRL ID using the GRC Windows app. I printed the recovery code and even wrote manually somewhere else.

I then, quite some time later, imported the ID into the iOS app. I don't remember the exact chain of events, but suffice it to say that at some point, I needed to recover the iOS account, but did NOT have the printed info handy. I was temporarily hosed.

Then I remembered that I had the same ID in the windows client on a different computer in a different location. So, when I was able to access the windows client, I then was able to reprint or re-key, or whatever it was that I needed to do so that I could then recover the same ID on the iOS app.

So, knowing that it was important to have the back up, I DID print AND write the code at creation, but when that wasn't handy when needed, I was able to use the other device to regain control from my mishap at the next opportune moment.

My personal opinion is that Steve et al have done a good job reminding me of the importance of retaining a copy which is what I had done, but then when I temporarily wasn't able to access said backup, the alternate device also helped. Maybe I am not a 'normal' user, but even so, I had thrown an obstacle at myself, but was still able to recover with some quick thinking, determination, and perseverance.

Vela Nanashi

May 19, 2018
I selected printed out, but it is hand written by me, and tested that it produces the same identity when imported :) also have copies of identity file on several machines and usb memory :)

berossm

Sep 28, 2018
My paper copy was done in the same way that my OTP codes are. In a binder in a safety deposit box. In the event of failure of all devices I just have to go get my binder and start scanning.