Play Store description - call for suggestions

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

Simon9

Mar 13, 2019
Hi, is anyone up for bouncing ideas for making some text suggestions for the app's play store description?

The idea is to make it easier to understand and want to use the app for someine who's not yet enlightened like us here. So please try texts out on the apps future target users.

Current text:
Securely logs you in to websites supporting the SQRL protocol.

Welcome to the Secure Quick Reliable Login (SQRL) client.

This client app will help you securely and effortlessly log you in to websites supporting the SQRL protocol.

It safely stores and lets you manage your SQRL identity, which the app uses to create unique per-site logins, which are anonymous and give the website owner no secrets to keep.

In general, SQRL data does not contain or require any personal information, so you can decide for yourself, how much data you want to share with the website you're authenticating against.
First reaction on the text, the 2nd and 3rd sentence is great, and captures what the app does. After that, this C-level person would want to get sure that giving the app all your security and passwords is safe. Also one raised eyebrow at the business name Monkey Business, meaning funny business and usually not taking things seriously. I know, this part is hard. Maybe a longer term idea to present the app under a trade name other than a gaming company? Maybe if there's a company name for Daniel's wordpress services and qp sqrl plugin, then that could help a bit.

Last edited:

Simon9

Mar 13, 2019
One or two iterations later ;) -- now how about this suggestion:

Welcome to the Secure Quick Reliable Login (SQRL) client. Use it to sign in to websites that support SQRL.

Use SQRL to *avoid managing passwords* AND as a *better alternative to second factors*.

SQRL makes it possible to use services with a unique identity that can not be forged or faked, and without sharing any kind of username or email with the service. This means that websites do not get your passwords to store - and leak. It works by using the protected secret and generating a new code for each website.

This app does not store or share any personally identifiable information. It only cares for protecting your sign in master secret so you can securely sign in.

Last edited:
Reactions: kalaspuffar

Simon9

Mar 13, 2019
The text was now accepted by the executive type person as understandable. Only question was what is 2nd factor. TIL there exists corporate entities who do not require 2nd factor for sign in. But they do require changing passwords every XX days... oh well.

Reactions: kalaspuffar

kalaspuffar

May 19, 2018
Sweden
coderinsights.com
Hi @Simon9

I actually have another company that I could use on Play.

The only reason I use Monkey Business is that the first two releases on Google play were actual games. And I might even release more games in the future. But then again those could be released in my family company name instead.

In order to change this, I need to work a bit on the webpage and fix up the company so it looks a bit more respectable. MBG is a bit more recently updated.

Best regards
Daniel

kalaspuffar

May 19, 2018
Sweden
coderinsights.com
Hi @ahauser

Thank you for letting me know.

It had ran out, I thought the easiest way out was to use my name and my own webpage and remove any confusion. At the moment all games are done by me, myself and I. So why use a company for that anyway. :)

Best regards
Daniel

Gristle

Feb 16, 2019
Post removed due to harassment from PHolder

Last edited:

Gristle

Feb 16, 2019

Last edited:

Simon9

Mar 13, 2019
Good point, it should be considered. Taking a quick read, some of it can be reused as is, some would need editing. From the linked page, I picked this segment for a start:
(A) SQRL Logs Into Websites For You

(B) Instead of using a username, email and a password, SQRL uses an app to login to SQRL-aware websites.

(C) When SQRL logs you into a website, your identity is a long code that looks like this: E6Qs2gX7W-Pwi9Y3KAmbkuYjLSWXCtKyBcymWloHAuo.
Your SQRL identity is a different long code for everywebsite you login to, but it is always the same code when you return to a site you visited before. This means that websites never know who you are, but they do know when you return.

(D) You may choose to remain anonymous to a website, such as when you post a response to someone's blog. SQRL never identifies you by anything other than that long code.

(E) In other cases you will want to be known, like when you use SQRL to login as you at Amazon, Facebook, Netflix, or your bank. In those cases, you would inform Amazon that that particular code is actually you. SQRL lets you do that.
Update: added letters to mark paragraphs

Simon9

Mar 13, 2019
IMHO, paragraph (C) is too technical to be of any use in an app description. It goes in some "How does this all work technically?" below the fold texts.

Paragraph D and E talks about SQRL allowing websites to let the user remain anonymous or not. This is 99% uo to the websites, maybe 1% up to SQRL users to influence websites to not also require mail and yearly income and cc number before letting me use a site.
Basically, I think we're better off to not try to set up expectations in the app description, that app users then use as reason to give the app 1 start reviews.

Gristle

Feb 16, 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave

Simon9

Mar 13, 2019
Gristle, what do you think is the purpose of the description in the Play Store? I think the correct approach and best practice is that the store descriptions adjust as well as possible to be useful and attractive to the people who encounter SQRL for their first time in the stores. That's my $0.02 :)

Also, do you specifically consider one or several of the descriptions so far to not be simple enough?
https://sqrl.grc.com/threads/play-store-description-call-for-suggestions.858/post-7102 is my current favorite, mostly because it has more iterations and rewrites. And it could surely still be improved, and even shortened.

Last edited:

Simon9

Mar 13, 2019
Ok, challenge accepted :)

I'll try to make the text a little bit shorter and sweeter.

To clarify, this is a rewrite that started from the SQRL Android play store description (copied from there) and rewritten a few times to get at the core feature, talk about end-user utility rather than specific features, especially avoiding what we cannot deliver (i.e. forcing websites to allow users to use the website anonymously), and in general try to capture the user's interest and make them push the "Install" button and want to use the app.

New iteration of the text:

Welcome to Secure Quick Reliable Login (SQRL).

Sign in with SQRL, without email, password or SMS-codes.

Each site sees a different code that represents you, to protect your identity. The code is not secret. It only enables you signing in to the specific website. Any other site has no use for the code.

Install SQRL now, and take back the power to decide what you share.
(YES! Do I win something now? A tractor?
)

UPDATE: I re-read the original descriptions. The quote above first had 3 sentences, but now I added 4 more to a total of 7 sentences, where the last is a call to action to get people to install.
It looked too thin before with 3 short sentences, and now with 7 it looks slightly too fat.

Last edited:

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Why not something as short and sweet as possible...?

--
Why you want SQRL: A SQRL client lets you authenticate (i.e. log in) to a SQRL enabled server without sharing a password with the site. This gives the site nothing to keep secret for you, and thus no secrets to lose if compromised.

SQRL is open and anyone can use it to make authentication better, but you should make sure to choose a client with a trustworthy reputation. If you want more [technical] details they can be found in the SQRL forums at https://sqrl.grc.com/ , where you can also perform your first SQRL authentication or get clients for other platforms.

Reactions: Simon9

Simon9

Mar 13, 2019
Good text alternative. Interating one step more on it:

Why SQRL? To protect your identity, and sign in on the web without giving the website any secrets they need to store and keep safe.

Install now, then visit https://sqrl.grc.com/
Edited for brevity, to avoid negative statements, removed programmer-targeted info about openness (programmers will by themselves find and read the SQRL website or watch a video, no content push needed). And made sure to have a call to action at the end.
Also made the second to last sentence include a somewhat sublimal "and keep safe" entrance to Install now. Sneaky, but good. I can try to get this version checked by someone with more than hobby knowledge of psychology :)

Gristle

Feb 16, 2019

Last edited:

Vela Nanashi

May 19, 2018
There is concise and then there is too concise, not everyone who browses the play store or apple store wants to go research things on other sites to find out what something does, and might skip it. Then again maybe such people are a tech support nightmare since they will most likely not read long descriptions of what they must do to safely use SQRL.

Reactions: Simon9 and ahauser