Password window closes in 2-3 seconds without user interaction

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

Gio0300

Jun 21, 2019
Hi everyone,

TLDR; the SQRL client won't allow me to enter my password.

This is my first time trying SQRL, I installed version 1.0.7098.1 and created an identity but I am having trouble logging in. When I click the "Sign in with SQL" link on the demo page or on the forums the SQRL client displays the password prompt and then closes the prompt with in 2 to 3 seconds. I never get a chance to enter my password. To make matters worse, once that password prompt closes it won't be displayed again until I exit the SQRL client by hand.

Update: Can't change my password either due to the same behavior of the password window closing itself automatically.

Attachments

Last edited:

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Well, unless the whole GRC client is crashing, I think you have a conflict with some other piece of software in your system. See if you can go into the settings and disable the screen darkening if that makes any difference.

Gio0300

Jun 21, 2019
I attempted to disable the screen darkening as you suggested but was unable to because that action also requires the password and the password window keeps closing on me. Thanks for suggestion though.

Dave

May 19, 2018
Gardner, MA
I attempted to disable the screen darkening as you suggested but was unable to because that action also requires the password and the password window keeps closing on me. Thanks for suggestion though.
You should be able to get to settings without going through the password prompt by right-clicking on the :sqrl: icon in the system tray and selecting Manage SQRL.

Gio0300

Jun 21, 2019
You should be able to get to settings without going through the password prompt by right-clicking on the :sqrl: icon in the system tray and selecting Manage SQRL.
I right-clicked the icon on the system tray, selected Manage SQLR, clicked View/Change Settings, unchecked Darken Password Screens, click Save, click Disabled Darkening .... and then I am greeted by the elusive password window ... :(

Paul F

Apr 11, 2019
Toronto
If you know how to modify the Windows Registry you can disable screen darkening by resetting bit 0 of the registry value at HKCU\Software\Gibson Research\SQRL OptionSettings. i.e. subtract 1 from its current value.

Addendum: This takes effect only after exitting and restarting the SQRL client.

Last edited:

Vela Nanashi

May 19, 2018
Gio did you mean that once screen darkening was turned off the password window that disappeared on you reappeared? as if it was somehow on the main desktop rather than the darkened one?

Gio0300

Jun 21, 2019
Gio did you mean that once screen darkening was turned off the password window that disappeared on you reappeared? as if it was somehow on the main desktop rather than the darkened one?
I meant I wasn't able to disable screen darkening because disabling screen darkening requires the password and the password window is closing by it self. I am about to try the editing the registry now.

Gio0300

Jun 21, 2019
If you know how to modify the Windows Registry you can disable screen darkening by resetting bit 0 of the registry value at HKCU\Software\Gibson Research\SQRL OptionSettings. i.e. subtract 1 from its current value.
Disabling the screen darkening via the registry worked. I am able to enter my password and I was able to finally log in with the SQRL client. Thank you Paul and every one else.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Disabling the screen darkening via the registry worked
Okay, that's great news, but that doesn't get us to the root cause of your problem, so that it might be addressed to prevent it for others. But now that we know a workaround, we can theorize about causes. Let's try and gather some info:

- What version of Windows?
- What video card model/brand/resolution/driver version?
- Do you have any "uncommon" extra programs installed, especially any that might interfere with the screen darkening?
- Do you have any assistive features enabled?
- Have you changed any system fonts?

Sorry to ask so many questions that require so much data gathering, but I can't imagine any other way to guess what could be at fault.

@Steve:

Would it be possible to build a special version of SQRL to diagnose this problem?

Gio0300

Jun 21, 2019
Windows 10 Home
Nvidia GeForce GTX 745, 10/27/2019 ver 23.21.13.8813, 2 side-by-side monitors both running at 1920x1800.
No specialty software that I can think of. No assistive features enabled.
No system font changes.

I am a software developer by trade and I would love to help where I can. I'll be happy to provide as many technical detail as necessary and/or be willing to run a debug version if one is available.

Something else I noticed. During an attempted password change with darkening mode enabled, if I timed it right I could type 1 or 2 characters into the password textbox before it disappears. If I attempted another change of password the password textbox would show what I had already typed. So that means the window is hiding/minimizing and not closing/terminating/crashing.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Windows 10 Home
Sorry, I guess I should have asked which version and build of Windows (cause I had assumed it would be Windows 10.) Microsoft seems to change some key portions between releases, so it's probably best to know the specific build. You can get this in Settings | System | About. For example, my system is Version 1809 System Build 17763.592.

Gio0300

Jun 21, 2019
Windows 10 Home
Version 1803
OS build: 17134.858

Alt Tab does not bring back the password dialog.
For the 2 to 3 seconds that the dialog is visible I can Alt-Tab to/from it. But once it auto-hides Alt-Tab no longer shows the password dialog as an available option.

Vela Nanashi

May 19, 2018
Obviously the process is still alive, since it remembers the typed letters. I wonder if interacting with the tray icon would bring it back up again, but I really don't think it has a minimize to tray function for the login window, then again I could be wrong about that.

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
@Gio0300 : When screen darkening was enabled and the password prompt was displayed on the darkened screen, and then disappeared... did the screen return to normal or did it remain dark? If it had remained dark, you would have had to go to extremes to regain access to your regular desktop. But you didn't mention that. So I'm assuming that it was exactly like the "Cancel" button was "auto-pressed" on the password prompt??

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
@Steve:
Would it be possible to build a special version of SQRL to diagnose this problem?
Possible? Sigh. Yeah, of course. But it will slow down my work to get the documentation finished... so I would really hope to avoid that. I veery much appreciate Gio0300's willingness to help, and your reg-edit hack was perfect! Thanks!!

Gio0300

Jun 21, 2019
@Gio0300 : When screen darkening was enabled and the password prompt was displayed on the darkened screen, and then disappeared... did the screen return to normal or did it remain dark? If it had remained dark, you would have had to go to extremes to regain access to your regular desktop. But you didn't mention that. So I'm assuming that it was exactly like the "Cancel" button was "auto-pressed" on the password prompt??
The screen returns to normal when it auto-hides. Visually it's the same effect as clicking "Cancel" but functionally it's not. If I don't hit cancel within 2 - 3 second before the screen auto-hides the browser hangs waiting on a response from localhost:25519, I can see the tab is "spinning". At this point the SQLR client UI is no longer available to me. The system tray icon is there, I can click on Manage SQLR but nothing comes up, the Manage SQRL screen does not appear. The SQRL client is essentially hung. If I force quit SQRL then the browser gives me a "Page is not working" message.

If I get the chance to click Cancel in time then the browser notices that I canceled the authentication process and the UI is completely functional minus the password window auto-hiding.

The Password dialog auto-hiding does not hang the UI when it's prompted from another UI action like for example "Disable Darkening" or "Change Password".

The behaviors I described are the same whether the SQRL clients wants me to input the whole password or the QuickPass password.

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
This is implemented using Window's desktops. I'm creating another desktop and switching to it. So the password dialog and and dark screen are both on that secondary desktop. If SOMETHING (and I know not what) was causing the normal desktop to be switched back to -- meaning that the secondary desktop was actually still "alive" and "up" but no longer "current" -- that would perfectly matching every symptom of what you are seeing.

Gio0300

Jun 21, 2019
TLDR: Problem solved. Acronis True Image Home ver 11 was the cause of the problem.

Turns out the application Acronis True Image Home was interfering with the secondary desktop. I started shutting down apps in alphabetical order hoping to get lucky and it paid off. After I shut off Acronis True Image the password window stopped auto-hiding. It's a very old program. I don't use it regularly and I certainly don't need it running in the background. Problem solved.

Reactions: CoreyM