Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joleen

I cannot download sqrl.exe from the official grc.com site. The message I get is:

Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software.

Is this a temporary problem? Windows deleted the sqrl.exe from my hard drive!

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
This is different but related to the recent certificate change. Anti-Virus scanners, including Windows Defender, use the historical =reputation= of the certificate which is used to sign software to suppress their otherwise overly fraught malware scanning. Unfortunately, the certificate I HAD been using recently expired after three years. IT had a spotless reputation. But it died. So now I have a brand new shiny certificate that will last another 3 years, but it has NO REPUTATION. So essentially the same code that we've been happily using for the past year without trouble is now being called Trojan, etc.

When I wrote "Never10" three years ago in 2016 and signed it with the new certificate (that just expired) we had the same trouble. It resolved itself after a few days. And I have just deliberately RESIGNED four of GRC's top five freeware utilities with this new certificate so that Windows and other A/V tools will start becoming familiar with it. So this WILL definitely pass.

If you want to get Release #66 of SQRL installed NOW, you =can= disable Windows Defender's real time scanning (plenty of articles on the web show how). Then you can use Chrome or FireFox to download the SQRL.exe and run it. And all should be okay. (Even with Windows Defender disabled, Microsoft's browsers IE and Edge will still refuse to perform the download.)

Sorry for the hassle!... but I =am= SO GLAD that we are hitting this annoyance now rather than once many many more people were using SQRL! :)

J

Joleen

Thanks for the explanation Steve. Possibly dumb question but... why not just make your application not look like malware? Like... don't pack it with an EXE packer known for malware? What's the big deal?

mikeelgan

May 19, 2018
I cannot download sqrl.exe from the official grc.com site. The message I get is:

Is this a temporary problem? Windows deleted the sqrl.exe from my hard drive!
Yikes! Should I be concerned with the VirusTotal scan? See attached.

Attachments

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Thanks for the explanation Steve. Possibly dumb question but... why not just make your application not look like malware? Like... don't pack it with an EXE packer known for malware? What's the big deal?
Joleen... packing the exe has nothing whatsoever to do with malware. PECompact is not "known for malware." Many exes are packed to reduce their size, shorten their download time, and improve their load and run time. I've experimented with not compressing my code and it makes no difference at all. None. And this will pass. ALL of the previous builds of this SQRL client have been packed and I've been using PECompact for quite a while with never any problem. The only problem here is that it's being signed with a certificate that hasn't yet built up any reputation. :)

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Possibly dumb question but... why not just make your application not look like malware?
Also... the reason the A/V scanners are upset is that this is a self-installing application. Others here have remarked at how nice this feature is. But it does mean that it contains code which is "malware like". But as I said... this will pass. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.