Non-clickable QR Code from plugin.

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
I'm wondering if enlarging the QR code upon clicking it wouldn't be the more useful alternative, given the fact that on all the login screens I've seen up to now there is always an additional link or button to click for same device login anyway. And a larger QR code certainly helps with scannability.

Probably "enlarge on hover" and "launch SQRL on click" would be reasonable.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Probably "enlarge on hover" and "launch SQRL on click" would be reasonable.
Probably, yes... BUT... (and I think it's a big but) not all systems can hover. We don't know what to expect for tablets (although using your phone to log into your tablet seems, um, odd) or for systems with various assistive technologies in use. (Or kiosks, where there may be no mouse, but a touch screen.)

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Probably, yes... BUT... (and I think it's a big but) not all systems can hover.
As has been noted previously, those systems that cannot hover -- those lacking a mouse -- will be touch screen that can be zoomed when needed.

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
and probably never works on a Windows machine
Why wouldn't it? I have a Win10-based tablet/convertible where pinch-to-zoom works like a charm. I don't own a single device where it doesn't work, actually. (I don't own any Apple products so I can't speak to that ).

Of course there will be exceptions to this, but really, won't there always be?

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Why wouldn't it? I have a Win10-based tablet/convertible where pinch-to-zoom works like a charm.
Was that app specific? My limited experience with it (some years ago) was that it didn't work and the device was returned and replaced with an iPad.

Gristle

Feb 16, 2019
I'm no longer contributing to this community because the moderator (PHolder) is too closed minded to allow differing options to be expressed freely on this forum. I've been harassed too many times by this little person and he's made it clear I'm not welcome here.

Last edited:

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Has worked for me every time on iPhone and iPad.
My point about bias was that Steve is an iOS user. As I stated above, it was something I tried on a Windows tablet some years ago, and it didn't work, and I decided to avoid that device by returning it.

My overall point is that I think relying on hover is not a good idea. I've never thought it was. I don't understand what issue prevents the more logical operation of clicking on the QR code to magnify it... and this would be more compatible with more devices. This way you could hover and magnify or click and magnify... seems more options for better support is ... um... just better. As I don't use QR Codes with SQRL, and don't expect I ever will, I am not terribly fussed... but I feel for users who need assistive technologies that don't work with hover... and kiosk users where hover is impossible on a touch screen.

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
My overall point is that I think relying on hover is not a good idea.
It would only be "relying on hover" if there was no pinch-to-zoom, which should be present in every browser on every modern touch device. That being said, I'd be completely fine with click-to-zoom as well, since there will always be a separate button to launch the SQRL client anyway.

Gristle

Feb 16, 2019
I'm no longer contributing to this community because the moderator (PHolder) is too closed minded to allow differing options to be expressed freely on this forum. I've been harassed too many times by this little person and he's made it clear I'm not welcome here.

Last edited: