New User I Have Questions

SamGreenwood

Apr 11, 2020
  • I set up the windows app a couple of hours ago how do I get browsers to see it.?
  • How do I get the Windows app and the Chrome extension to see the codes on websites?
  • I tried to connect my TWiT Community account to my SQRL identity and keep getting server errors in the Android app (which I've actually gotten to accept my Identity)?
  • Is there a Mac app?
  • Is there a list of SQRL integrated sites?

PHolder

May 19, 2018
set up the windows app
I presume you mean the one by GRC?

how do I get browsers to see it
If you did mean the GRC client, when it installs, it should register itself as a protocol handler for SQRL URLs automatically. Additionally, during the install it will take you through a process to help you get it setup with (I barely remember, but I think it was) Chrome.

In any case, a browser seeing an unknown protocol should prompt you how you want to process it... and you could then point it at SQRL. In fact there have been complaints about Chrome always asking this question, and elsewhere on these forums it was discussed how to change the nagginess of Chrome.

How do I get the Windows app and the Chrome extension to see the codes on websites?
I don't understand what you're asking. It seems like you're expecting something to "automagically" occur. There is no magic. SQRL is NOT a password manager, and there is no auto-login feature part of any known client. What you should do is see a site with a SQRL login option, and you click the button for the SQRL login which contains a SQRL:// URL and that will launch the client.

Did you not sign up for these forums using SQRL? (I can put in a plug for my own instructions to do so: https://sqrl.grc.com/threads/how-to-register-a-new-account-on-these-forums-with-sqrl.267/ but it is probably already too late.) I don't know if anyone has created instructions on how to add SQRL authentication to a userID/password account, but it is fairly straightforward to do so: click on your userID/icon on the top right and select the option for "connected accounts".

I tried to connect my TWiT Community account to my SQRL identity and keep getting server errors in the Android app
Why do you need to use the Android app? Do you want to log in on the phone? Since you mentioned a Windows install, you should not be using the phone in conjunction with the Windows desktop. The QRCode/mobile option is less secure and should only be used when no better option is available.

As for getting the TWiT login setup, it is multi-step. There are other forum posts that cover this, I believe, but let me try to summarize. The TWiT authentication is not a preferred way to use SQRL, because it involves using a relying party, namely sqrloauth.com . It was done this way because, at this time, the TWiT community forums (Discourse) do not have any other SQRL implementation. What you actually do is create an account on sqrloauth.com using your SQRL client, then you authorize TWiT.community to authenticate via sqrloauth.com. It works, but it's not foolproof and is more complicated. For now, it is all that exists for Discourse.

Is there a Mac app?
You're new here. You should maybe read some of the forum posts. There is a Mac client based on the open source version of .NET currently in beta testing. It's created by @josecgomez (the creator of sqrloauth.com) and @alexhauser. You can start here: https://sqrl.grc.com/forums/open-source-cross-platform-sqrl-client.52/

Is there a list of SQRL integrated sites?
There is not, really, because the list amounts to: this forum, sqrloauth.com/TWiT and a few misc blogs on Wordpress. I'm afraid adoption is a VERY slow process... userID/passwords are just too comfortable (in all the good and bad ways) for too many people and sites.

Last edited:
Reactions: josecgomez

SamGreenwood

Apr 11, 2020
I presume you mean the one by GRC?
Yes

I don't understand what you're asking.
I get it I phrased the question badly. I guess I asked part of it already. I was wondering how to get the Windows version and the chrome extension to see the login QR codes from off webpages or would having both the windows version and the chrome extension case conflicts?

TWiT login
I understand. Think the error I was getting was caused by the sqrloauth.com server. I'll try to test it and check if it actually worked even though it gave me that error.

You're new here. You should maybe read some of the forum posts. There is a Mac client based on the open source version of .NET currently in beta testing. It's created by @josecgomez (the creator of sqrloauth.com) and @alexhauser. You can start here:
OK noted and will check that post out.

There is not, really, because the list amounts to: this forum, sqrloauth.com/TWiT and a few misc blogs on Wordpress. I'm afraid adoption is a VERY slow process... userID/passwords are just too comfortable (in all the good and bad ways) for too many people and sites.
Makes sense. Thought Steve referred to one on an episode of SN at some point.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
would having both the windows version and the chrome extension case conflicts
Most presumably yes. I would disable the plug-ins for now, as you have the "full" experience with the GRC client, and as a beginning user you probably don't need any hassles caused by interference between various implementations.

SamGreenwood

Apr 11, 2020
I think that the chrome extension is broken. I'm trying with the extension on Mac and it is declining my password

SamGreenwood

Apr 11, 2020
Update got the chrome extension working (on the Mac) finally. Took a while and possible an accidental momentary server outage possibly being caused by me.

SamGreenwood

Apr 11, 2020
@PHolder how do I reset the windows client? I think that there is a problem with the identity in it when I try to login to the forum it fails and gives me an error but when I scan it with the app my phone which uses the same identity It works

PHolder

May 19, 2018
when I try to login to the forum it fails and gives me an error but when I scan it with the app my phone which uses the same identity It works
There is nothing to reset.

Make sure the windows client is no longer running (fully exit it.)

Backup what you have on Windows just in case:
Use Windows explorer to MOVE the SQRL folder in "My Documents" to some place safe (and possibly temporary.)

Now delete that folder from "My Documents"

Export what you have in your phone

Import it into the Windows client.

Last edited:

Sithmagic

Oct 12, 2019
how do I reset the windows client
FYI - Each SQRL client CAN have a different password set - that is user choice, it is assumed that you have the same password in both and not "password" and "Password" or some such? There is another thread that discusses these options.
To reset a password for your ID, you can use the rescue code for that ID to reset the password.