new identity?

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

Dashrender

Feb 8, 2019
I had the pre-release version of the windows client installed - and for weeks now it's been telling me there is an update, but would always failure code 8 and never update.

So this morning I simply uninstalled SQRL from my PC, rebooted. I then downloaded the latest version of the Windows client from grc.com/sqrl and installed it.
I expected the client to make me walk through a full new setup, but instead it just 'worked.' I say 'worked' because when I came to log into this site, these forums see me as a new user, even though SQRL allowed me to use my previous password.

When I export my identity, the code is completely different from last time.

I also see no way to attach my old identity code in the Windows client.
*Edit - Ok found how to add an identity - check the show identity management functions box.. that part is solved.

What am I missing?

Dashrender

Feb 8, 2019
Now, when trying to type my old identity in, it just hangs and won't let me add any more characters. I can hit back, and start over, but the furthest I've gotten so far is row 2.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64 1803 2019-06 Cumulative update

Paul F

Apr 11, 2019
Toronto
Your SQRL identity is a file <IdentityName>.sqrl in your Windows Documents\SQRL folder. When you update sqrl.exe your identity file is not affected. Your SQRL password identifies yourself to the SQRL client alone. It is not related to the web site you are using SQRL to sign in to. I assume you are exporting your identity as text. Why do you want to import your identity? If you only had one, it's still there. If you have re-keyed your identity or had more than one identity, that could explain why the exports appear different. When you use text entry to import an identity each line has a checksum character. If the checksum fails because you entered an incorrect character somewhere you will not be able to proceed to the next line.

Dashrender

Feb 8, 2019
I have two, the first one I setup I messed up and lost the password on asap... so I made a second.

Yet, now that I've uninstalled dev and install prod, it only knows about my original identity, which is not the one associated with this website.

Correct me if I'm wrong, if I compare the QR code on my phone, to the QR code that the windows client outputs, if the IDs are the same, then the QR should be the same? right? In my case they are not. This is why I believe that an old identity is what my PC is seeing.

Vela Nanashi

May 19, 2018
The various codes may be using a random nonce/IV, and thus they will be almost completely different.

Paul F

Apr 11, 2019
Toronto
Correct me if I'm wrong, if I compare the QR code on my phone, to the QR code that the windows client outputs, if the IDs are the same, then the QR should be the same? right? In my case they are not. This is why I believe that an old identity is what my PC is seeing.
An easy way to check if the identities are the same is to go to this site: https://www.grc.com/sqrl/diag.htm click on Proceed to SQRL diagnostics then click/scan on the QR code. On the following page look about a dozen lines down for idk= under Client value decode. The idk is your identity for that site (and only that site). You can compare what you get with the PC to what you get with the phone.

Dashrender

Feb 8, 2019
As I suspected, they are different... so now I need to import the one from my phone into my PC.

Thanks