Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Everyone,

I've just added the ability to perform an incremental on-the-fly search of any forum's thread titles. You will see the small "quick search" box at the top left of any forum's main page. Our existing "Search" in the upper right is a comprehensive contents search which will certainly have its place. But in time we're going to have forums with a gazillion threads... so this seem like a useful feature.

rustleg

May 20, 2018
UK
So does that mean the main search (top right) searches content as well as titles?

PHolder

May 19, 2018
So does that mean the main search (top right) searches content as well as titles?
The main search can be restricted to just titles if you choose. The main difference is scope. The one on the left searches just the titles of the forum topic you're in, the one the right searches all forums on the whole site, and possibly all content therein.

warwagon

May 20, 2018
Iowa
Tried using the title search feature for a thread I created. I tried putting " around the term to narrow it down.

members.JPG

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Yeah, I tried a global search on HAM (for HAM Radio) and it rejected that as too short also. When I put in HAM Radio, it searched only on Radio. Searching is a hard thing to do right... You don't want the index to grow to be larger than the content under search, and yet you don't want the search to take for ever or to miss things (leading you to falsely believe they're not present.)

MacNala

May 20, 2018
I assume you were using HAM as a test argument, or did you expect Ham or Ham Radio content to be in here?

PHolder

May 19, 2018
I assume you were using HAM as a test argument, or did you expect Ham or Ham Radio content to be in here?
In trying to test the search I was trying to think of a test phrase that would have been used in a limited fashion. I knew there was at least one reference, but it was in a "private" conversation, so I was also wondering if the search would look into that conversation. As for my own personal interests, no I am not personally into amateur radio, mostly because it seems even more of an expensive hobby than my computer addiction ;)

Dave

May 19, 2018
Gardner, MA
As for my own personal interests, no I am not personally into amateur radio, mostly because it seems even more of an expensive hobby than my computer addiction ;)
I could probably drop $30K at HRO if I had it to blow. But, with a decent electronics "junk box", you could get on the air for short money. And there's always ham fests and swap meets and online sources for used equipment. And, as us old farts get older, there are always "silent key" estate sales...

MacNala

May 20, 2018
In trying to test the search I was trying to think of a test phrase that would have been used in a limited fashion. I knew there was at least one reference, but it was in a "private" conversation, so I was also wondering if the search would look into that conversation. As for my own personal interests, no I am not personally into amateur radio, mostly because it seems even more of an expensive hobby than my computer addiction ;)
It is a long time since I gave up HAM radio its an even longer time since I started (1961). I am not current with prices but I can remember when a 'decent' HAM rig would cost a years wages so I agree more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.