Mac OSX Testing Feedback

brianallenlevine

Jun 3, 2020
Hi,

I just installed this client on macOS 10.15.5. I'm logged into the forum with it now. It's most impressive! Congratulations to Jose, Alex, and of course Steve for making this happen. I look forward to playing with this more as time permits. For now, I'd like to contribute two feedback items.

The first feedback item is about the version installed. I ran the macOS installer from v0.1.3.0-test. But v0.1.2.0-beta is what downloaded and installed. It was the most recent pre-release I could select during the installation. But perhaps this is the correct behavior? I was following the instructions to install the latest release. The v0.1.3.0-test release is the latest. It wasn't until after installation that I noticed "This is a development test release, please don't install this as an end user." And when I check within the client for updates, it says I'm at the latest.

The second feedback item is about exporting my identity. When I try to "Show QR Code" or "Save as PDF", I receive an error message that I don't have the "libgdiplus" library installed. I do have this installed, but I installed it from MacPorts rather than from Homebrew. it's the same 6.0.5 version, but I suppose there may still be some differences. (I already use MacPorts for other things. I didn't want to deal with Homebew just for the SQRL client just now.) I was still able to "Copy to clipboard" and "Save to file". So this is by no means urgent.

I hope this feedback is of some value.

Again, many thanks for a fine job!

--Brian

Reactions: ahauser

brianallenlevine

Jun 3, 2020
Hi, again.

I have a couple quick questions.

First, where in the file system does the client store the file(s) that comprise my SQRL identity? And second, how is this encrypted?

Thanks!

--Brian

josecgomez

Aug 6, 2018
In the current version the sqrl files are in the application folder in the Mac next release will move this to user space

As to how this is encrypted see the SQRL spec

here

But in layman’s terms it is encrypted using AES-GCM and a memory hard modified Scrypt algorithm implementation that can not be easily hardware accelerated

Last edited:

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
I just installed this client on macOS 10.15.5. I'm logged into the forum with it now. It's most impressive! Congratulations to Jose, Alex, and of course Steve for making this happen.
Thanks for the nice feedback @brianallenlevine, glad that you like it so far.

The first feedback item is about the version installed. I ran the macOS installer from v0.1.3.0-test. But v0.1.2.0-beta is what downloaded and installed. It was the most recent pre-release I could select during the installation. But perhaps this is the correct behavior? I was following the instructions to install the latest release. The v0.1.3.0-test release is the latest. It wasn't until after installation that I noticed "This is a development test release, please don't install this as an end user." And when I check within the client for updates, it says I'm at the latest.
Test releases are "hidden" by default from both the installer and the client when searching for new releases. Now, there's an interesting constellation here when you download the "cutting edge" installer from the test release, but the installer actually installs a regular release, which doesn't know about many of the new features that the new installer is trying to use. This COULD actually bite you when upgrading to the next official release, but nothing that can't be fixed. Mostly, there could be troubles around locating the correct database file, since we've moved that (as well as logging) to user space as @josecgomez already explained. If you find yourself in troubles when we publish the next release, just let us know, and we'll help fixing it.

The second feedback item is about exporting my identity. When I try to "Show QR Code" or "Save as PDF", I receive an error message that I don't have the "libgdiplus" library installed. I do have this installed, but I installed it from MacPorts rather than from Homebrew. it's the same 6.0.5 version, but I suppose there may still be some differences. (I already use MacPorts for other things. I didn't want to deal with Homebew just for the SQRL client just now.) I was still able to "Copy to clipboard" and "Save to file". So this is by no means urgent.
I'm in the process of implementing the "QR code import" right now, and I have noticed some inconsistent behaviour regarding the libgdiplus error message, too. I'll look into it and report back if I find anything.

Again, thanks for testing the OSS client and sharing your findings! Keep it up!