Linux Testing Feedback

Alan M Cameron

Thanks for the heads up.
Reading the details from the v0.1.2.0-beta I note you have changed the file to be downloaded to
SQRLPlatformAwareInstaller_linux.tar.gz
Does this change the installation commands needed to try this version?
A repetition of the commands needed would be useful.
I will be attempting to install on Ubuntu18.04.4 LTS and then on Ubuntu 20.04.0 as I have just managed to install it with a struggle I seem to remember your instructions included checking that gcc make and perl were installed. are they ALL still needed?

Alan M Cameron

Limited success using Ubuntu18.04.4.
The attached Logfile1.txt shows the installation completely.
A number of points to note at the end there is the statement "Hiding main window instead of closing it.". This leaves the terminal session hanging I think it should be closed.
The sequence of clicks that were done to get GRC's demo page to work need commenting on.
After the installation I opened Firefox and navigated to https://grc.com/sqrl/demo.htm and on to the real demonstration page. to receive the invitation to login using SQRL. Clicking on the Sign in button did nothing. So I tried what @Sithmagic suggested right-click and select open in new window but this lead to a confusing amount of pages and although it worked was not helpful. More helpful was right-click and open in a new tab. This showed up the link to SQRL as missing and I first selected OK but not save choice. This worked and I was logged in to the GRC demo account I have therein. I tried again this time both selecting SQRL link and saving the choice. This was better the new tab gave me the request to sign in to sqrl and this correctly opened the account. However to repeat this I needed to again save the choice before it would work. On a third try the Right-Click and open in new tab worked correctly and opened the quickpass and then the account. So there is something NOT saving the choice to link to SQRL when clicking on the sign in button. I have not yet tried using Ubuntu 20.04.0 but watch this space.

Attachments

josecgomez

Aug 6, 2018
Alan
Limited success using Ubuntu18.04.4.
The attached Logfile1.txt shows the installation completely.
A number of points to note at the end there is the statement "Hiding main window instead of closing it.". This leaves the terminal session hanging I think it should be closed.
The sequence of clicks that were done to get GRC's demo page to work need commenting on.
After the installation I opened Firefox and navigated to https://grc.com/sqrl/demo.htm and on to the real demonstration page. to receive the invitation to login using SQRL. Clicking on the Sign in button did nothing. So I tried what @Sithmagic suggested right-click and select open in new window but this lead to a confusing amount of pages and although it worked was not helpful. More helpful was right-click and open in a new tab. This showed up the link to SQRL as missing and I first selected OK but not save choice. This worked and I was logged in to the GRC demo account I have therein. I tried again this time both selecting SQRL link and saving the choice. This was better the new tab gave me the request to sign in to sqrl and this correctly opened the account. However to repeat this I needed to again save the choice before it would work. On a third try the Right-Click and open in new tab worked correctly and opened the quickpass and then the account. So there is something NOT saving the choice to link to SQRL when clicking on the sign in button. I have not yet tried using Ubuntu 20.04.0 but watch this space.
As noted before that is a know issue but it only applies to the grc demo page
Can you try logging in to this site instead and see if the link works as expected?

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
... at the end there is the statement "Hiding main window instead of closing it.". This leaves the terminal session hanging I think it should be closed.
This is expected behaviour @Alan M Cameron, you may have overlooked that there is a SQRL tray icon in the upper right corner of the screen. Using that, you can restore the main window. The app needs to keep running "in the background" to support QuickPass etc.

Alan M Cameron

OK success in visiting this site using the 'DotNetClient'. In fact using the Ubuntu client to post these results!
There is obviously a difference between the GRC demo site and this forum site. Whether this is in the client's interaction or the server action I do not know.
I may be tempted to try some of the diagnostic version/s of the GRC site but what would I do with the output?
I plan to repeat the installation in my Ubuntu 20.04.0 instance, I do not expect there to be any difference but you never know with testing.
How much of the advanced functions of the client are in place and need testing?

Alan M Cameron

Additional test result. After signing in to this site I noticed the SQRL icon in the top bar so clicked it. It displayed the expected functions. I wanted to check what was available in GRC's client so clicked the red x in the top right of the dialog box. it exited but when I clicked the SQRL icon again it showed a garbled display
See attached images

Attachments

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
Thanks for confirming that it's working over here in the forums, Alan.

As @Paul F has pointed out in the newsgroups a long time ago, there is some weird difference between the sqrl:// invocation on the GRC demo page as apposed to here on the forums, which nobody seems to have figured out the reasen for yet.

As for testing:

The client is almost feature-complete, and we would appreciate testing all the available functionality, including
  • Creating an ientity
  • Importing identites (textual and via file, different identity editions, rekeyed ones etc...)
  • Exporing identites (different export options, check if the exports are valid by importing them elsewhere)
  • Deleting identities
  • Changing identity settings
  • Changing identity password
  • Rekeying identities
  • Authenitcating using different identities (rekeyed ones etc.)
Thanks in advance to everyone helping out!

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
As for the garbled display after restoring the main window from the tray icon, we've seen this before in our own testing and were speculating whether this is a glitch caused by the virtual machine graphics. I'd like to hear from anyone seeing this on real hardware. But non the less, I'll open an issue for it and we'll look at it.

Again, thanks for reporting @Alan M Cameron!

//Edit:
For anyone who wants to keep track of this issue:

Last edited:

Alan M Cameron

Thanks for confirming that it's working over here in the forums, Alan.

As @Paul F has pointed out in the newsgroups a long time ago, there is some weird difference between the sqrl:// invocation on the GRC demo page as apposed to here on the forums, which nobody seems to have figured out the reasen for yet.

SNIP
I would like to hope that you will investigate the discrepancy as for a newcomer to SQRL after installing your DotNetClient the first place they will want to test is Steve's Demo page and using the linux implementation as is they will fail. Not a good welcome as they will not know what is at fault when the GRC demo Sign in using SQRL does not work.

The other list of potential tests is in my to do list and will get handled after I plan how to achieve the tests.

josecgomez

Aug 6, 2018
I would like to hope that you will investigate the discrepancy as for a newcomer to SQRL after installing your DotNetClient the first place they will want to test is Steve's Demo page and using the linux implementation as is they will fail. Not a good welcome as they will not know what is at fault when the GRC demo Sign in using SQRL does not work.

The other list of potential tests is in my to do list and will get handled after I plan how to achieve the tests.
Thanks Alan,
Agreed but I believe this is an issue with Steve's page not the client we'll do some more research for sure, but the same issue applies to different clients. We'll keep working on it

MacNalaTesting

Apr 29, 2020
Hi @josecgomez this is still @Alan M Cameron using the DotNetClient from Ubuntu20.04.0+ I decided to test the installation again but used Ubuntu 20.04.0+. I attach two logfiles the first shows the install session. The second the warnings during the setup of a new identity. Alan2020c which of course to access this site needs another username hence @MacNalaTesting. The generated identity is working but the warnings concern me. Any comments?
Ubuntu version 20.04.0+ is the new install plus some additional updates which are to be expected until July when 20.04.1 will be released.

Attachments

josecgomez

Aug 6, 2018
Hi @josecgomez this is still @Alan M Cameron using the DotNetClient from Ubuntu20.04.0+ I decided to test the installation again but used Ubuntu 20.04.0+. I attach two logfiles the first shows the install session. The second the warnings during the setup of a new identity. Alan2020c which of course to access this site needs another username hence @MacNalaTesting. The generated identity is working but the warnings concern me. Any comments?
Ubuntu version 20.04.0+ is the new install plus some additional updates which are to be expected until July when 20.04.1 will be released.
HI Alan,
Thanks for these, these both look great, warnings are fine. As far as needing another username you shouldn't have to, you should be able to export / import your old identity into any of these clients without problem. As a matter of fact, we'd love it if you could test that for us.

Alan M Cameron

The very first test I did was to import my existing identity (as used here) into the Linux client and it worked. The reason I created a new identity, as well as testing that it could, was to create an identity I could use to test importing into the Ubuntu20.04.0+ instance I had created. As it also worked I just kept it to report success. I am slowly progressing down the list of tests that I was shown. Rekeying is one of the next but I don't want to cut myself off from using my original identity. If my ISP could keep it's internet working for longer than a couple of hours I would get on faster. That is twice it has gone down today..