Keeping the SQRL password in Lastpass

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

Mike Wills

Jul 31, 2019
I haven't seen a topic directly related to this yet. I keep all of my passwords in LastPass. Like a good LastPass user, I created a long random password and saved it in LastPass. Then I tried to join this forum with SQRL. It prompted me for my password and I couldn't switch back to LastPass to pull my password. I am sure it was built that way for a reason, but how would I go about that otherwise? Or should the SQRL password be memorable like your LastPass master password?

Vela Nanashi

May 19, 2018
I think the SQRL password, should be memorable like the lastpass master password, it does not leave the machine, it only decrypts the master key that SQRL uses, and on top of that, it should be long, since you only write the long version once every so often (you can set how long in the client) and use the quick pass (short password) for the other times. Lastpass I don't think is designed to give passwords to other applications, so if you used the windows client that probably is not being cooperative, especially with the screen darkening being enabled, if you turn that off you can get to lastpass while sqrl's login window is open, but sqrl only has one password to unlock it for all sites, not one per site.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
should the SQRL password be memorable like your LastPass master password
I think that was Steve's assumption, yes. LastPass says that one password is the "last password you'll ever need to remember" (or words to that effect.) SQRL could say "SQRL needs one password to lock it down, so you can stop using all the other passwords"...

Reactions: Gristle

PHolder

May 19, 2018
On the other hand, you are free to disable the screen blanking feature of SQRL (at your own peril, of course.) The idea is that the screen blanking is preventing a clever web site from tricking you into giving up your SQRL password because (so far) web sites don't allow a site to do that sort of screen blanking.