Just a ramble on my first day with SQRL

Status
Not open for further replies.

sengsational

Feb 17, 2019
I'm putting this bit on this forum since I started out with the Android client. It will drift over into my experience registering here on the forums.

Getting the Android client on my phone was too easy (F-droid), so I decided to get the project from github and build it. That wasn't much harder. I knew the concept and a bit of the lingo since I listen to SN. I created my identity on the Android client and got the hard copy. I'm not sure how that process can be improved, but it's real geeky now, hehe! There's quite a few places I could see that some "usability enhancements" could make it easier for the uninitiated.

I had avoided registering on this site until I had my identity set-up so that I could go through that process. I'm not exactly sure why, but it didn't seem to 'take' on the first two tries, but the third was the charm. I got to the site on desktop Firefox and saw the register options. Since I knew how it was "supposed to work", I knew that all I should have to do is scan the QR code with my phone, but still I was left wondering "how is it going to know what user name to use?". So I'd say that on a registration page, it should just say it "if you register using SQRL, we'll ask you for your username in the next step". It could be more obvious that there are 3 ways to register...like a "choose 1) SQRL, 2) with any of these snoopy things, or 3) the old-fashioned way".

On the Android app, I clicked "Advanced Functions > Use Identity" (probably needs to be moved to the main page at some point), and it was obvious I needed to scan the QR code on this site's registration page. The app flipped back out of camera mode. Then it's asking for a "password". Here I found myself wondering "does this app think I already have a password for sqrl.grc.com? And I'm thinking "whoa, I'm not giving my SQRL master password to this hinky forum site, who knows who this Gibson character is, anyway" ;) Seriously, the point I'm trying to make is that instead of "password", it should probably be labeled "SQRL Master Password" and have an info thing that pops up and says "your master password is used to decrypt your identity...it won't leave your phone". Of course I realize that this UI / usability stuff is icing on the cake, but since I have "new eyes" today, I figured I'd write my "new eyes" reaction to today's version of the application. Certainly no malice intended.

So once the password was accepted, there was no message on the phone as to what happened. There probably should be a dialog there on the phone (site was contacted, wasn't contacted, etc). In the first two tries, the page on the desktop browser didn't change. So I was left scratching my head. Unsure what to do, I did it again, same result. My cursor might have been in different places on the form, since I almost registered the old-fashioned way. Then the third time, I looked up and found that the desktop browser was asking for me to pick a user name and email. Success!

Anyway, congratulations on getting all of this working. A huge amount of hard work, I'm sure.

sengsational

Feb 17, 2019
I created a new identity and ran through the scenario of registering on this site again. It worked the second time (before it worked the third time). This time, I captured the Logcat. This first image is the time where it didn't flip to the registration page:

This next image is the time where it DID flip to the registration page:

I'm not sure if any of this will be useful in Android or web server debugging, but figured it was worth a shot.

sengsational

Feb 17, 2019
On the Android app, I clicked "Advanced Functions > Use Identity" (probably needs to be moved to the main page at some point)...
Here's a look at a button I made tonight that makes it more obvious that it IS a button and what it will do when you poke it:

Reactions: warwagon
Status
Not open for further replies.