Is this just user error? Can't use a second SQRL id from Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Godfrey

Mar 6, 2019
Seattle
I created a second, test SQRL id because I want to experiment. I realize this isn't encouraged and so this whole line of inquiry is lower-priority.
But it does seem broken.

I went to the sqrl form in a private browsing sessions and clicked "Register". I notice that the SQRL client prompts me to log in using my primary SQRL id, even though in the client I have chosen "Select Identity" and selected the new test identity. The login UI doesn't give me any way to select the test identity either.

Now one possibility is that this is because I never followed the GRC client's instructions about browser integrations. I am using FireFox and it 'just worked' without installing any browser integrations. Is that what I'm missing?

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Hey Andrew:
I notice that the SQRL client prompts me to log in using my primary SQRL id, even though in the client I have chosen "Select Identity" and selected the new test identity. The login UI doesn't give me any way to select the test identity either.
You posted this in the "GRC's SQRL Client" forum, so I'm assuming you meant this to apply to GRC's client?

I just verified that everything is working as it should with GRC's client. The "Select Identity" is sticky and sticks. The pop-up password confirmation dialog shows the currently-selected identity. And it has an "Options" button which displays the "SQRL authentication options" dialog which contains a "User" button for choosing the identity.

Perhaps the term "User" was/is confusing? Since actual users are intended to have only one SQRL identity, the only common use-case where identities need to be selected will be when there multiple users sharing a single logon session. So "User" is used here rather than "Identity".

Andrew Godfrey

Mar 6, 2019
Seattle
Yes, GRC's client.

This is weird. Now after a reboot, it is as you say - the "Select Identity" button in SQRL sticks and affects what identity the login dialog starts with.
I never noticed the Login > Options > User button. (Ok, maybe it wasn't there, but more likely I just missed it).

But they did seem dissociated on Sunday - i.e. I would choose "Select Identity" but it wouldn't affect what identity the login dialog starts with. Also, when I turned on my laptop today, sqrl.exe was unresponsive (no UI) and was running two instances.
I killed both and started a new one, still no window appeared. But the login popup was still working.

After a reboot, everything is fine again.

Before I killed the two sqrl.exe instances, I did capture .DMP files from Task Manager. But I imagine they wouldn't be useful. When I attached a debugger to one, it was waiting for Windows messages, as you'd expect from what I just described.

I guess I need to watch to see if anything like it happens again.

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Thanks for the reporting Andrew. Are you in Win10? One thing I've seen is that Win10's built-in Defender can take an inordinantly long time to "scan and approve" the SQRL exe. It's sometimes been a source of confusion.

Also, you likely know that the first time SQRL is run, when it finds an existing SQRL identity, it never displays a UI dialog. It just goes resident and establishes its tray icon. Then, if the app .EXE is relaunched and it sees that it's already running, it assumes that the user is re-launching it because they want to interact. So THAT new instance sends a "show yourself" message to the resident instance and then terminates itself.

Andrew Godfrey

Mar 6, 2019
Seattle
Yes I'm on Win10. When I had this problem, I definitely had two sqrl.exe instances running, and no tray icon, and no response to starting new instances of SQRL.

That behavior of not always showing UI is surprising, now that you mention it. Why would the user want that when launching the app from the start menu?
That gesture seems more likely to mean "I want the management UI" than "I want SQRL to start and stay resident".

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
The presumption is that a SQRL user will always have SQRL running in their tray rather than "on demand." And if they DO choose "on demand" then that's taken care of by the sqrl:// scheme registration which DOES present the SQRL UI when it's triggered that way. And if they launch from the Start Menu, it's icon will appear in the tray where they can then open its management window if they choose. If there was a strong feeling that launching from the Start Menu should display the UI, the Start Menu config could add a parameter to display the UI on launch. But, so far, no one has brought this up since SQRL is always just running.

Andrew Godfrey

Mar 6, 2019
Seattle
Ok, given that the client is setup to autorun, that makes sense. I had thought it didn't register to autorun - but I guess I was just confused by the weird behavior I was seeing. I just tried rebooting, and it did autorun.

So, consider this "case closed". I'll speak up if I see anything like it again.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
If there was a strong feeling that launching from the Start Menu should display the UI, the Start Menu config could add a parameter to display the UI on launch. But, so far, no one has brought this up since SQRL is always just running.
I agree with this thinking. I think if I choose to launch it, it means I want it to be front and centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.