iPhone Touch ID

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

skisteep

Feb 9, 2019
Recently installed update 1-0-281 8210 to my iPhone 7, tried it on QR Code login to this forum on my Win 10(GRC SQRL client), up popped the touch id notice, executed my touch id, logged right into the forum.

Wayne

0.NRG

May 19, 2018
@skisteep Glad to hear. Both Face ID and Touch ID are working well for me now with the 8210 build. Seems like Jeff A. has the app moving in the right direction.

RMSiegel

Jun 13, 2019
I just joined the TestFlight group and installed 1-0-281 8362 on an iPhone 6S running iOS 12.3.1, I am NOT getting any Touch ID option when logging onto these forums or Steve's demo site (https://sqrl.grc.com/demo). When I slide the advanced option to green I don't get anything new on the screen. If I manually enter my password it works fine but entering the password on the iPhone's keyboard is a pain. Any ideas?

ihussain.uk

Jun 14, 2019
The first time you log in you have to enter your password, but if you log out of the forum and try logging in again then the iOS app gives you the option of using Touch ID, not sure what the time out is before it asks you to enter the password instead of Touch ID.

RMSiegel

Jun 13, 2019
I tried that yesterday and just tried again now. Still no Touch ID. :censored:

Just tried with Steve's basic demo site https://sqrl.grc.com/demo. That gave me a Touch ID. Hmmmm... Wonder what is different about the Forums?

Now just tried on these Forums and it's working. I think I kept pushing the Advanced Slide back to off (no green). But now I've made it go into the flashing working icon and it never logs on.

Last edited:

Jeffa

May 20, 2018
I tried that yesterday and just tried again now. Still no Touch ID. :censored:

Just tried with Steve's basic demo site https://sqrl.grc.com/demo. That gave me a Touch ID. Hmmmm... Wonder what is different about the Forums?

Now just tried on these Forums and it's working. I think I kept pushing the Advanced Slide back to off (no green). But now I've made it go into the flashing working icon and it never logs on.
After an initial password authentication the client caches an encrypted version of your ID indefinably. The key needed to decrypt the identity is stored in the keychain with bio-metric protection. It has nothing to do with the site.

If it works on one it should work on another.

The advanced button is is for things like disabling the use of SQRL at a site, it is not needed in normal auth process.

Reactions: Harry D

MrObvious

Jan 30, 2019
Why is it that the initial password authentication is needed? Can there be an option to use biometric encryption?

Also as a workaround, I use Lastpass, and if you have it set up as your password manager, when it asks for the password just push "Passwords" on the keyboard, Lastpass will pop up, and then choose your "SQRL" Lastpass entry. It works pretty well.

Reactions: Harry D

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Why is it that the initial password authentication is needed
Well your identity is valuable, so needs to be protected "at rest". The way this is normally done is with encryption when you know the password. It's possible to have the machine know the password, but this is not without risk. Presumably you have to give the system the password the first time to allow the OS to protect it for future uses. (I have never used the iOS client, so I may not fully understand your reasoning for asking this question.)

Jeffa

May 20, 2018
Why is it that the initial password authentication is needed? Can there be an option to use biometric encryption?

Also as a workaround, I use Lastpass, and if you have it set up as your password manager, when it asks for the password just push "Passwords" on the keyboard, Lastpass will pop up, and then choose your "SQRL" Lastpass entry. It works pretty well.
The inial password is required to decrypt your ID. If your Device supports TouchID or Face ID then the password entry should not be required again ont he same device.

Reactions: MrObvious