Information: Wine doesn't work on Mac OSX Catalina 10.15

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianoflondon

Nov 22, 2018
Just in case anyone else doesn't know this and is using Wine to use Steve's Windows client on a Mac, as of right now, Wine still doesn't work on the latest version of Mac OSX.

The Wine website says there is a version 5 due out soon, the source is available but the [binaries are not available yet](https://www.winehq.org/news/2020012101).

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
Slightly OT, but if anyone is interested in testing @josecgomez' cross-platform client and library project on the Mac, that would be great. Please note that there are no "releases" yet, and the client is in a very early stage. But if anyone with a Mac has some experience in building a .NET Core project from source or wants to give it a try (it really shouldn't be too hard), we'd be glad to hear it!

brianoflondon

Nov 22, 2018
I'm happy to test a binary but my days of compiling source ended 30 years ago with C++ back during my PhD.

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
I understand, @brianoflondon, but it probably sounds scarier than it actually is.

Just to give you an idea, the steps to build the whole solution would involve:
  • Downloading or cloning the GitHub repo to a local folder on the Mac
  • Downloading and installing the .NET Core 3.1 SKD for Mac at https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download
  • Opening a terminal, entering the project directory and typing
    dotnet build

brianoflondon

Nov 22, 2018
Steps followed and Microsoft .net installed but the dotnet command isn't available is there another step I'm missing? Is there some kind of front end to .net?

Scratch that, needed to open a new terminal window. Duhhhh.

Exciting... haven't built for years!!! I'm feeling young again.

OK, what next?

Restore completed in 19.73 sec for /Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git/Sodium.Core/Sodium.Core.ForSqrl.csproj.
Restore completed in 19.73 sec for /Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git/SQRLConsoleTester/SQRLConsoleTester.csproj.
Restore completed in 19.73 sec for /Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git/SQRLUtilsLib/SQRLUtilsLib.csproj.
Restore completed in 49.1 sec for /Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git/SQRLUtilLibTest/SQRLUtilLibTest.csproj.
Restore completed in 1.5 min for /Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git/SQRLDotNetClientUI/SQRLDotNetClientUI.csproj.
SQRLUtilsLib -> /Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git/SQRLUtilsLib/bin/Debug/netcoreapp3.1/SQRLUtilsLib.dll
Sodium.Core.ForSqrl -> /Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git/Sodium.Core/bin/Debug/netcoreapp3.1/Sodium.Core.ForSqrl.dll
SQRLUtilLibTest -> /Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git/SQRLUtilLibTest/bin/Debug/netcoreapp3.1/SQRLUtilLibTest.dll
SQRLConsoleTester -> /Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git/SQRLConsoleTester/bin/Debug/netcoreapp3.1/SQRLConsoleTester.dll
Successfully created package '/Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git/SQRLUtilsLib/bin/Debug/SQRLClientLib.1.0.0.4.nupkg'.
SQRLDotNetClientUI -> /Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git/SQRLDotNetClientUI/bin/Debug/netcoreapp3.1/SQRLDotNetClientUI.dll

Build succeeded.
0 Warning(s)
0 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:01:44.00

Last edited:
Reactions: ahauser

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
Great, this means that everything built correctly! That's already a great indicator for us.

The client is in active development and I've just noticed that today's snapshot is probably not well suited for test running the UI, since Jose is actively testing and fiddling around. Sorry!

I'll let you know when running the client makes sense again. Looking forward to the first ever run of a sqrl client project built natively for the Mac.

Thanks for your effort, Brian, I'll get back to you!

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
If you still feel lucky, and for future reference, the command to run the client UI is

dotnet run --project SQRLDotNetClientUI

Please note however, that - as mentioned earlier - what comes up currently might not make any sense because of the active development by Jose.

josecgomez

Aug 6, 2018
Yeah sorry guys I'll get a stable commit out there and work on a branch.
I'm working on getting a MVP out the door then we can add bells on branches .
Standby

josecgomez

Aug 6, 2018
ok @brianoflondon I think its "stable" right now so if you want to clone and re-build. It should be able to import an identity existing or generate a new one also export one. It doesn't yet do the authentication (that's in the development phase) but those basic functions should work I'd love a test (and some screenshots if you can) I don't have a mac.
It should look something like this (I hope, this is an Ubuntu screenshot)
1579819454737.png

one thing you will need the libgdiplus (on Linux I'm guessing on a Mac too)
On a mac that would be

brew install mono-libgdiplus (I think, #NotAMacUser)

We will have binaries and scripts for all these eventually.

and thank you for all your help @ahauser !!!!!

brianoflondon

Nov 22, 2018
I'm not 100% sure I managed to pull down a new copy from github. I'm using a programming editor called Coda but I'm rather hazy on how Git and source control works. I did do a rebuild before I tried the dotnet run command.

What is the correct command to update my local git repository from the command line and then I can figure out how to do that inside Coda.

HiroBar-3:SQRL Client Git bol$ dotnet run --project SQRLDotNetClientUI
Http Listening
/Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git/SQRLDotNetClientUI/bin/Debug/netcoreapp3.1: True
Unhandled exception. System.UriFormatException: Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined.
at System.Uri.CreateThis(String uri, Boolean dontEscape, UriKind uriKind)
at System.Uri..ctor(String uriString)
at SQRLDotNetClientUI.ViewModels.MainMenuViewModel..ctor(SQRL sqrlInstance) in /Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git/SQRLDotNetClientUI/ViewModels/MainMenuViewModel.cs:line 40
at SQRLDotNetClientUI.ViewModels.MainWindowViewModel..ctor() in /Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git/SQRLDotNetClientUI/ViewModels/MainWindowViewModel.cs:line 37
at SQRLDotNetClientUI.App.OnFrameworkInitializationCompleted() in /Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git/SQRLDotNetClientUI/App.xaml.cs:line 24
at Avalonia.Controls.AppBuilderBase`1.Setup()
at Avalonia.Controls.AppBuilderBase`1.SetupWithLifetime(IApplicationLifetime lifetime)
at Avalonia.ClassicDesktopStyleApplicationLifetimeExtensions.StartWithClassicDesktopLifetime[T](T builder, String[] args, ShutdownMode shutdownMode)
at SQRLDotNetClientUI.Program.Main(String[] args) in /Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git/SQRLDotNetClientUI/Program.cs:line 41
Http Listening
/Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git/SQRLDotNetClientUI/bin/Debug/netcoreapp3.1: True
Unhandled exception. System.UriFormatException: Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined.
at SQRLDotNetClientUI.ViewModels.MainMenuViewModel..ctor(SQRL sqrlInstance) in /Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git/SQRLDotNetClientUI/ViewModels/MainMenuViewModel.cs:line 40
at SQRLDotNetClientUI.ViewModels.MainWindowViewModel..ctor() in /Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git/SQRLDotNetClientUI/ViewModels/MainWindowViewModel.cs:line 37
at SQRLDotNetClientUI.App.OnFrameworkInitializationCompleted() in /Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git/SQRLDotNetClientUI/App.xaml.cs:line 24
at Avalonia.Controls.AppBuilderBase`1.SetupWithLifetime(IApplicationLifetime lifetime)
at Avalonia.ClassicDesktopStyleApplicationLifetimeExtensions.StartWithClassicDesktopLifetime[T](T builder, String[] args, ShutdownMode shutdownMode)
at SQRLDotNetClientUI.Program.Main(String[] args) in /Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git/SQRLDotNetClientUI/Program.cs:line 41
HiroBar-3:SQRL Client Git bol$

josecgomez

Aug 6, 2018
Oh that's because you built in debug mode and the project is passing command line param url
Run it in release mode or just do
dotnet run <dll> in the debug Folder

brianoflondon

Nov 22, 2018
OK... so I tried this:

HiroBar-3:SQRL Client Git bol$ dotnet run --project SQRLDotNetClientUI/bin/Debug/netcoreapp3.1/SQRLDotNetClientUI.dll

/Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git/SQRLDotNetClientUI/bin/Debug/netcoreapp3.1/SQRLDotNetClientUI.dll(1,1): error MSB4025: The project file could not be loaded. Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.

The build failed. Fix the build errors and run again.

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
@brianoflondon, if you reference the full path to the dll, you must omit the --project parameter.

So it's either
dotnet run SQRLDotNetClientUI/bin/Debug/netcoreapp3.1/SQRLDotNetClientUI.dll

or just

Or just wait for Jose to get you something which is more easily digestable. 😀

brianoflondon

Nov 22, 2018
@brianoflondon, if you reference the full path to the dll, you must omit the --project parameter.

So it's either
dotnet run SQRLDotNetClientUI/bin/Debug/netcoreapp3.1/SQRLDotNetClientUI.dll

or just

Or just wait for Jose to get you something which is more easily digestable. 😀
Definitely neither of those are working. I would like the pleasure of knowing I can still download and compile something :)

HiroBar-3:SQRL Client Git bol$ dotnet run SQRLDotNetClientUI/bin/Debug/netcoreapp3.1/SQRLDotNetClientUI.dll
Couldn't find a project to run. Ensure a project exists in /Users/bol/Documents/Brian of London/BrianofLondon Web/SQRL Client Git, or pass the path to the project using --project.
Http Listening

Status
Not open for further replies.