Incompatible tablets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2019
I've the SQRL Android Client running on my current mobile and even on a previous one.

But when I can't install it from the Play Store on my tablet (Teclast T10, Android Version 7.0).

It doesn't show up in the normal search. I can find it in the list of apps installed on other devices associated with that account. But when I select it, I get a screen telling me that the device is "not compatible with this version".

To my knowledge this message pops up if a) the app is country-restricted, b) the minimum OS version is not met, or c) a device itself is not supported.

It can't be a) or b).... so it must be c)
Has this be done by choice?

Thanks

Michael

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Is it possible to share the CPU specs for that tablet? It seems it might be something other than ARM or is 32bit only, or something even more specific?

Feb 18, 2019
According to this:

Processor: 2 x 2.1 GHz ARM Cortex-A72, 4 x 1,7 GHz ARM Cortex-A53
6 cores
SoC: MediaTek MT8176

Looks like a run-of-the-mill tablet to me.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Interesting. My understanding of how the author specifies his apps requirements is that there are specific things in the manifest, such as which minimum version of the Google Play Services it requires. We'll need to wait for @kalaspuffar or @ahauser to respond I suspect. I don't know if they have any platform specific code (maybe the crypo library is binary or not available everywhere or something.)

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
I can only say that it's not the minimum OS/SDK version, since our setting for minSdkVersion is 16 , which is Android 4.1 aka "Jelly Bean". I also know that we were careful to also test our layouts on tablets, so it shouldn't be a general tablet issue. Maybe it's one of our dependencies, though. We'll have to wait for Daniel (@kalaspuffar) to chime in, since he's publishing the app to the play store and should have more insights into the topic.

kalaspuffar

May 19, 2018
Sweden
coderinsights.com
Hi @Michael Strecke

I've double-checked on Google play and we exclude no devices and are available in all countries. So the only thing restricting is the minimal Android version which was stated to be 16 so you are well above that.

The C libraries we compile is the code from Steve which is for devices older than 26. Since Android 26 the AES_256/GCM/NoPadding cipher is present in Android.
These C libraries are compiled for arm64-v8a, armeabi-v7a, x86 and x86_64.

Best regards
Daniel

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Is it possible it's some restriction applied by the store itself? It's too bad that message couldn't elaborate how exactly it's incompatible.

Feb 18, 2019
It's Google's Play Store.

We've ticked off all restrictions we know about and it works on all my other Android devices... Strange...

Feb 18, 2019
As for the Teclast T10 there has been a partial success with the F-Droid store.

I first installed the F-Droid app in order to install the SQRL client, but the app also claims that the version is incompatible:

Screenshot_20200113-111356.png

I then downloaded the APK and installed it manually. It runs fine (I used it to log into the forum).

Which means the problem must be in the meta data somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.