Import via QR Fail

• New SQRL for .Net Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to TechLiam's "SQRL for .Net" server-side middleware. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

DiscoSquirrel

Jun 17, 2019
Tried importing via QR scan, which takes me to the "reset password" page.

It also doesn't recognize my password (copy/pasted from bitwarden vault, and works on desktop client)

Am I doing something wrong?

Dana

Jun 17, 2019
I had the same issue. Found a note somewhere in all the documentation about the "export Identity" feature. If you choose to export with only the Rescue Code the android app will require you to create, (Reset) a password upon importing. The word "Reset" during this process is a misnomer. You would be creating a new password on this device only rather than "resetting" your identity password across all devices. If you choose to export with password and Rescue Code included then the import on the new device will prompt you for your original password. The password associated with your identity has to be managed by you across all the devices. It is possible to have multiple identity passwords. I.E. a different password on each device.

The Android app could be made a little less confusing by using a different term than "Reset Password" when importing an identity without its associated password. Maybe use the phrase "New Password For This Device Only" or a basic explanation of what is actually happening.

Reactions: ahauser

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019

ICSim

Jun 27, 2019
Quick question on this. When trying to login scanning the SQRL windows app's QR code (export) the textual version comes up on the Android App. I have tried the password to login it but it fails to import the identity. I also tried the rescue code with and without dashes. Thoughts? Thank you!

Reactions: wa5pb

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
@ICSim , logging in using qr code and importing an identity via qr code are two completely different things.

Can it be, that you are trying to import an identity using the big "scan qr code for site" button on the main page of the app?

If yes, that's not where you import an identity. For import options, go to the three-dot-menu and then select "Identity management". On this screen, you will find an "Import" button on the very bottom. This will take you to all available import options.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Can it be, that you are trying to import an identity using the big "scan qr code for site" button on the main page of the app?
Is it possible, when the QRCode decodes to something without a nut= embedded, that there could be an error message that explains something (roughly) like: "This does not appear to be a SQRL authentication QRCode. If you are attempting to import your identity, please use the QRCode scanner function in the Import Identity process."

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
Last edited:

ICSim

Jun 27, 2019
@ICSim , logging in using qr code and importing an identity via qr code are two completely different things.

If yes, that's not where you import an identity. For import options, go to the three-dot-menu and then select "Identity management". On this screen, you will find an "Import" button on the very bottom. This will take you to all available import options.
Thanks for the response.

I am scanning the QRCode in the Windows SQRL app first. I have selected this in the backup/export option section. Then display QR code. I have tried both options when asked..... backup decryption with password or rescue code. I have also tried the rescue code option as well.

On the Android APP, I select import identity, scan identity QR Code.
This brings up the textual part of my identity and it also requests a password. Entering in my master identity password does not work.

When using the rescue code option only the Android APP states reset password with 6 parts and then a new password field.

Selecting the three dots and identity management does not proceed the app into a new page or pop up.

Appreciate the help and input!!

Thanks!

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
This brings up the textual part of my identity and it also requests a password. Entering in my master identity password does not work.
Hmmm... this SHOULD work, and it did work the last time I tried. I will doublecheck though.

When using the rescue code option only the Android APP states reset password with 6 parts and then a new password field.
So far, so good. Does everything work then if you proceed with entering the rescue code and a new password?

Selecting the three dots and identity management does not proceed the app into a new page or pop up.
I guess you are already in the identity management screen then. I will post an issue to remove that particular menu entry if you are already on that very screen, sice that makes no sense there.

//EDIT:

Last edited:

wa5pb

Jun 28, 2019
Quick question on this. When trying to login scanning the SQRL windows app's QR code (export) the textual version comes up on the Android App. I have tried the password to login it but it fails to import the identity. I also tried the rescue code with and without dashes. Thoughts? Thank you!
Same here. I am registered on the GRC forums site, but scanning the QR code with the Android SQRL app only gets me a prompt for a password on my phone. Also, trying to Instant Register on the forums using SQRL app for Android did not work. Shouldn't scanning the QR Code get one in immediately?

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Shouldn't scanning the QR Code get one in immediately?
The device you use to scan the QR Code has to have your identity loaded into it. That identity, if it were not protected, could easily be targeted for theft by malware and other bad actors. Accordingly, you are requested to protect the identity at rest by encrypting it with a password. You will be asked for that password when you attempt to use the identity, such as when you scan a QR Code to log into a site. Some clients may offer shortcuts, such as the QuickPass or using biometrics. (This is however client specific, and should also be configurable to the tastes, and risk profile, of the user.)

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
I've just tested this with two different identities and could verify that this works just fine for me. Can you confirm that you are on the latest version offered on the play store and that you are using the correct sqrl password for that identity?

This also works as expected for me.

Last edited:

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
Same here. I am registered on the GRC forums site, but scanning the QR code with the Android SQRL app only gets me a prompt for a password on my phone.
This is exactly how it was designed to operate. Once you have entered your SQRL password for that identity once and you have a device and os version which support biometrics, you can then log in with only a tap of the finger, until you reach the "QuickPass timeout", which you can change in your idenitity settings (max is a week).

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
Just a small update, all issues discussed in this thread were meanwhile addressed on GitHub and the fixes/improvements will be available in the next release version.

ICSim

Jun 27, 2019
Just a small update, all issues discussed in this thread were meanwhile addressed on GitHub and the fixes/improvements will be available in the next release version.
Thank you for the responses. I currently have Version 1.1.0 installed on Android.

1.) From the Windows SQRL App I select Display QR Code.
2.) This imports the textural version of my identity.
3.) There is a password entry location. As PHolder stated in a previous post I used a different password here. Did not work. I then entered in my main SQRL identity password. It did not work as well.

Sorry for my delayed response, I have been traveling. Appreciate the input. Looks like I will wait for the next Android update as you stated.

Thank you!

BTGuy

Jul 15, 2019
Thank you for the responses. I currently have Version 1.1.0 installed on Android.

1.) From the Windows SQRL App I select Display QR Code.
2.) This imports the textural version of my identity.
3.) There is a password entry location. As PHolder stated in a previous post I used a different password here. Did not work. I then entered in my main SQRL identity password. It did not work as well.

Sorry for my delayed response, I have been traveling. Appreciate the input. Looks like I will wait for the next Android update as you stated.

Thank you!
From what I understand, when importing an identity using a displayed QR code (from the Backup/Export Identity section of desktop app) you are required to enter the password that was used to secure that identity when it was created. I've tried this procedure using version 1.2.0 of the Android app and it works properly. Maybe try updating the Android app.

Hope that helps!

ICSim

Jun 27, 2019
Hello Everyone. I am following up on this thread. Not sure what I am doing incorrectly after reading through all of the literature and this thread again. I have the latest Android app installed and I cannot import my SQRL identity. Works fine on my Windows machine.

1.) I select backup/export and scan the QR code from my Android phone.
2.) It states I have successfully scanned my secure identity.
3.) I enter in my password and it states it is incorrect.

I do have the latest SQRL app for android.

Thanks for your help!

PHolder

May 19, 2018
First let me state that I am not suggesting there is not a bug or that maybe there could be a UX improvement possible. I just want to confirm the steps you took as precisely as possible.

When you export an identity to QR code, there are two options. One should preserve your password and one will ask for the rescue code. Which of these options did you choose?
Did you get prompted for a rescue code?
Does your password have anything odd... like unusual punctuation or emoji or anything like that?

ICSim

Jun 27, 2019
Hello @PHolder . Great Questions.

1.) I have tested it both ways. One with the password option and one with the Rescue code.
2.) The password and rescue code I have stored as a Secure note in a password manager. I also have typed these in manually in addition to copy and past from the PM to SQRL Android version 1.5.1.
3.) The following characters are present in long password: ^%#&.

Thanks!

PHolder

May 19, 2018
To be clear, are you being prompted for your rescue code during the import. If the answer is yes, then the password will not be preserved. If the answer is no, then we have something else going on.