Import Identity from Text question

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

Mar 5, 2019
Is there any way that copy and paste could be allowed for this? Typing in all 165 characters by hand is a pain. If I want to keep a copy of my Identity as a note in lastpass for example then a quick copy and paste would make this a lot easier.

Dave

May 19, 2018
Gardner, MA
Is there any way that copy and paste could be allowed for this? Typing in all 165 characters by hand is a pain. If I want to keep a copy of my Identity as a note in lastpass for example then a quick copy and paste would make this a lot easier.
If you are using the release version of the GRC SQRL app for Windows, the Backup / Export button takes you to a dialog where, at the bottom, is a "Copy As Text" button.

Mar 5, 2019
Right Dave, I got that. I'm talking about setting up a new computer or installing SQRL client fresh. When you have to put that information back into SQRL.exe

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Right Dave, I got that. I'm talking about setting up a new computer or installing SQRL client fresh. When you have to put that information back into SQRL.exe
If the target machine receiving the identity, like most laptops these days, has a webcam, it can instantly scan the identity's QR code for import. Or you can use any tiny thumb drive and export / import as a file.

But, that said, I don't see any reason why "paste" could not be supported on the Text Import dialog. It just never occurred to me since the "export as text" was added shortly before release.

Reactions: Fixed.Computer

javagrand

Jun 13, 2019
I have been tested Jeff's iOS client and Jaaap's Chrome Extension, both of which support copy & paste. Today, added GRC Windows Client to my testing and was surprised to find it does not support copy & paste. I too would like to see this rectified.

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
I have been tested Jeff's iOS client and Jaaap's Chrome Extension, both of which support copy & paste. Today, added GRC Windows Client to my testing and was surprised to find it does not support copy & paste. I too would like to see this rectified.
I just verified that it's on my "todo" list for the next release. Just to be clear: What you're wanting is to have a textual identity on the clipboard and to use PASTE in the Windows' client's text import rather than manually entering it? ... right??

javagrand

Jun 13, 2019
I just verified that it's on my "todo" list for the next release. Just to be clear: What you're wanting is to have a textual identity on the clipboard and to use PASTE in the Windows' client's text import rather than manually entering it? ... right??
Yes, that is correct.

Flowheimer

Jun 20, 2019
I second this motion.

Alan M Cameron

Feb 7, 2019
alancameron.net
I would like to express my concerns about this. Having the identity text on your computer is not exactly the most secure place for it. On a thumb drive is probably a better place to copy it from barring any way to import it directly.

sj phillips

May 20, 2018
For the GRC Windows client, you can copy the identity text to the clipboard from the Backup/Export Identity screen.

Dave

May 19, 2018
Gardner, MA
I would like to express my concerns about this. Having the identity text on your computer is not exactly the most secure place for it. On a thumb drive is probably a better place to copy it from barring any way to import it directly.
I struggle with that as well. Over the years, LastPass has been my go-to place for securing accessible digital content. So, that was my first thought for where to store my Identity. But there is a certain irony in having the keys to the kingdom - in the form of a solution born of the inadequacies of passwords - living in the cloud, protected only by... a password. A thumb drive stored in the same secure location as the paper copy would seem more prudent.

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
The first item on my next release for GRC's client is "Allow pasting a textual identity into the identity import."

We already have copying the textual identity to the clipboard. So allowing the reverse makes a lot of sense.

And, Alan, note that textual identities never include the encrypted user's password, so the Rescue Code will always be needed for use. So it's the most secure form of SQRL storage. :)

Gristle

Feb 16, 2019
Post removed due to harassment from PHolder

Last edited: