GRC's SQRL Client for Windows, v1.0: Released

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

richardhsu

Jun 12, 2019
The first identity I created couldn't be verified. It would let me type the first 7 digits, but the 8th digit, it didn't accept. When I saved it to a file and verify, Sqrl client said it wasn't valid. I have since created a new Identity and it works now. Just pointing it out.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
The first identity I created couldn't be verified. It would let me type the first 7 digits, but the 8th digit, it didn't accept.
You're going to need to be more explicit here in explaining exactly what you were doing when you say "verified"? Do you mean when you were retyping the recovery key after having printed or written it down? Or do you mean when trying to "log in" with your chose password? Or do you mean something else? These forum's support inline picture attachments, and as they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so feel free to send a picture if you could.

richardhsu

Jun 12, 2019
You're going to need to be more explicit here in explaining exactly what you were doing when you say "verified"? Do you mean when you were retyping the recovery idea after having printed or written it down? Or do you mean when trying to "log in" with your chose password? Or do you mean something else? These forum's support inline picture attachments, and as they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so feel free to send a picture if you could.
Do you mean when you were retyping the recovery key after having printed or written it down?
Yes.

so feel free to send a picture if you could
Didn't take screenshot, I made a second attempt at creating the identity, got a new recovery code, and it worked the 2nd time.

I still have the recovery code that didn't work but I don't feel comfortable sharing it.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
I still have the recovery code that didn't work but I don't feel comfortable sharing it.
I understand, however if you are not planning to use the identity it is associated with, it is not going to serve any purpose to keep it a secret. As no one else has reported anything like this that I am aware, there is little that can be done to help you without more information.

TecMunky

Mar 8, 2019
Steve & all -

Good morning. Usually it's because SQRL updates are so new and haven't developed a reputation yet but I just tried to update to #72 and Symantec Endpoint Protection flagged sqrl.exe as SONAR.AM.SB.E!g3. Looking closer at the details show it's probably still reputation related as it shows Symantec has only known about the file for 2 days and only 5 other Symantec users at the time had downloaded it. I tried to uninstall but SEP had moved sqrl.exe to Quarantine so Windows can't find it to unninstall it. Just wanted to share this in case it's helpful. Thank you! Go SQRL!

Deloy Johnson
I was probably one of those 5 people. Semantic Endpoint Protection (SEP) allows you to examine the quarantined files and restore them to the disk. When you do that it gives you an option to add that file to the exception list. This sounds great, but it doesn't work well in practice, because the next time SQRL updates, SEP flags and quarantines the files again, even if they are on the exception list - I imagine this is because it's actually a different file, even though the filename is the same.

To install SQRL, you need to disable SEP first, then install SQRL, then re-enable SEP. On my system, I have to do the installation quickly, because SEP will re-enable itself in a short while. I suspect this is because of some policy enforced by my IT department at work.

I can't test this at home, because all my home computers run Linux.