First Login is very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

alt3rn1ty

Feb 2, 2019
I am using Chromium ( https://chromium.woolyss.com/ )
Current version is Nik's Stable installer - 72.0.3626.81 (612437) • Wednesday, 30 Jan 2019 - 64bit

I also use UBlock Origin extension, with its default setup

I also use Quad9 as my DNS resolver (which is as fast as anything my ISP would offer, according to DNS Benchmark)

When I first load up the browser, and having cleared out all Browsing history for "All time" :

I then go to this forum, and click the "Login" button

It then takes literally 22 seconds before the Login Options come up, and I can then click the SQRL button ..

If I keep the browser open, and do not clear cache, login and logout as many times as I want and the response to clicking login and logout buttons is as quick as you would expect it to be, but clear the browser cache and exit the browser, then reload it and go back here to the forum, and the build of the dialogue? to login is veeery slow.

This slow response from a site login is most unusual for me, I have very fast broadband internet and experience no other browsing issues. The problem is unique to SQRL forum (I have tried clearing browsing data before reloading the browser and going to other sites I regularly login to, and do not have the same issue in the few I tried for comparison).

I wonder if it has anything to do with those tracking logins (Facebook, Twitter etcetera) ?
I can understand them being needed to make the SQRL Forum accessible to anyone.

Last edited:

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Hmm... I don't like that at all. Does your browser have a developer mode with a network monitor. Chrome used F12 to open that mode... and it uses a "waterfall" display to show how long each asset takes to load. Could you use the dev tools to determine what's taking so long??

Thanks!!!

alt3rn1ty

Feb 2, 2019
Done, its apparently something called password_box-compiled.js taking the wedge of time, in my tests just before posting this it can be anywhere between 17 seconds up to worst case so far 33 seconds ..

(I paused the recording when the polling for a SQRL nut started repeating - Red entries in the recording)

And after clicking on the name of the .js, its the Content download that is taking the time ..

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
NICE work! Thanks!! Rasmus has updated his XF to v2.1 and is also now seeing the things we've noted.
I'll drop him a note with this, too. (Not sure if it's something about SQRL, but we'll find out!)

alt3rn1ty

Feb 2, 2019
Cool :)

The clearing of browsing data first is important to repro' this, otherwise the cached download is used and you do not see the problem.

alt3rn1ty

Feb 2, 2019
I just did a Clear Browser Cache before logging in again ..

.. I do believe this issue is now fixed, or at least I cant get any delay on the Login dialogue popping up anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.