fantastic! now make it work with the beta iOS sqrl client on "account association"

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

fsantiago0704482

Apr 29, 2019
hello. i've been a test flight participant for the ios sqrl client for a little bit now and today deployed the wordpress plugin. they both work well except i noticed on 1st time account association with my wordpress account, it would fail to properly work. the sqrl client would go through the motions, asking me for my identity password, etc, but would never actually associate itself. once i associated my sqrl and wordpress accounts on a PC, they now work great on mobile as well.

I'm testing on:

self - hosted wordpress, current release v5.2.2, running on ubuntu linux 18.04, on apache
sqrl plugin installed today, v1.0.3, by Daniel Persson
current test flight ios sqrl client by jeff arthur, v1.0.281 (8362)
iphone x, current release ios v12.3.1

i'm not a dev myself so my help is limited in capacity but i love it so far. keep it up!

Reactions: kalaspuffar

Gristle

Feb 16, 2019
Post removed due to harassment from PHolder

Last edited:

fsantiago0704482

Apr 29, 2019
For my self hosted instance, I just used digital ocean’s Wordpress marketplace offering. Very quick and easy to get up and running.

I will submit this to Jeff as well. Thanks.

josegfv

May 24, 2018
QC, Canada
I also have the IOS app for a while now, it has worked well with grc's test site and also here in the forum, but, I installed the Wordpress plugin in my site, when trying to use the IOS app it seems to not understand the QR code. If I try with Steve's app I am able to login and works, so it seems like the IOS app has issues reading the generated QR code.

Last edited:

Gristle

Feb 16, 2019

Last edited:

josegfv

May 24, 2018
QC, Canada
I would submit a bug report with Jeff.
Yes, I did. In the end, I did more testing and if I zoom in the QR code and increase brightness, the app is able to read the QR code. For some reason, the QR code generated by the plugin looks busier than the one we get here in the forum or the one in grc's test page.

Reactions: kalaspuffar

kalaspuffar

May 19, 2018
Sweden
coderinsights.com
Yes, I did. In the end, I did more testing and if I zoom in the QR code and increase brightness, the app is able to read the QR code. For some reason, the QR code generated by the plugin looks busier than the one we get here in the forum or the one in grc's test page.
I'm not sure if there is a special setting that @Steve is using. I generate a QRCode in medium setting so I would have some extra CRC checks to handle some errors.

Best regards
Daniel

Gristle

Feb 16, 2019

Last edited:

Once set this cannot be

Jun 27, 2019
FYI, I have the iOS app and it works with my site's sqrl wordpress login on iphone 6 with 1.0.281 iOS app. But I am at work now so can't comment further.

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
I'm not sure if there is a special setting that @Steve is using. I generate a QRCode in medium setting so I would have some extra CRC checks to handle some errors.
Daniel: There's no reason to have =any= error correction in an on-screen QR Code. I have =none= in mine.

Error correction is needed for the case of printed QR codes where some of the code space might be missing or torn or smudged or something. But our screens are going to produce picture perfect QR codes every time. So... adding ECC just places more bits into the code, thus making the QR code larger or the bits smaller. So the key is to use the shortest total URL length possible and no ECC. :)

ScottWhite

Jul 7, 2019
Error correction is needed for the case of printed QR codes where some of the code space might be missing or torn or smudged or something. But our screens are going to produce picture perfect QR codes every time.
I may be remembering incorrectly since I read about QR codes a lot when they first became popular, but I thought having the ECC correction also provides spatial redundancy for reading. Since scanning often happens from a video, you can get some motion tearing or blurring which may obscure part of the code. It's probably much less important on modern high-end phones, but it may still be an issue on lower-end devices.

While testing with the Android client I had a code that was scanning incorrectly 100% of the time. Using Trend Micro QR Code scanner on the same phone, the QR code scanned correctly. Sorry, but I failed to save this code and I only saw this once :(
Since I'm also producing medium, it seems that ECC didn't help. It's also weird that it was 100% reproducible; the Android client was sending the exact same invalid nut every time. I remember it was truncated, it had the full URL and part of the nut correct but then a few wrong characters and was truncated.

I think I'll try switching to low since the library I'm using to generate codes doesn't seem to support none.

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
the Android client was sending the exact same invalid nut every time. I remember it was truncated, it had the full URL and part of the nut correct but then a few wrong characters and was truncated.
The truncation of certain (longer) qr codes was a bug that we fixed in the Android client a while back.

ScottWhite

Jul 7, 2019
The truncation of certain (longer) qr codes was a bug that we fixed in the Android client a while back.
This was within the last month and the codes I generate are 8 characters longer than the GRC one. All my codes are of the same length and every other code worked fine. It didn't seem like a simple truncation issue but I guess it's possible.

Gristle

Feb 16, 2019

Last edited:

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
This was within the last month and the codes I generate are 8 characters longer than the GRC one. All my codes are of the same length and every other code worked fine. It didn't seem like a simple truncation issue but I guess it's possible.
Interesting, thanks for the additional info, Scott.
Should you ever run into such a truncation problem with the Android client again, we'd of course be very interested in seeing that particular qr code.

Btw., these were the PRs that fixed the truncation bugs: