Failure to update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Hello all. I totally understand the app signature being the problem, but if we explicitly allow the app through our firewall, turn off Defender temporarily, and don't have any other AV running, then what else on a Windows 10 system would be blocking it? I'm not totally familiar with all of Window's sub settings.
Gang! ... I know what's going on with the Error #8. SQRL's downloader is failing it's OWN verification! I'll have an update shortly!!

Reactions: jk_physics

alt3rn1ty

Feb 2, 2019
I also just re-downloaded InSpectre and DNS Benchmark, and got Windows Defender to check them out with their new certs .. No complaints from Defenders Scan of those files, same as SQRL ..

.. So, looking forward to the new version of SQRL which will not fail its own verification. I still have #64 installed waiting to auto update.

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
.. So, looking forward to the new version of SQRL which will not fail its own verification. I still have #64 installed waiting to auto update.
Unfortunately, that's NEVER going to happen! I'll be explaining why in a second.
But you MUST manually run a new copy downloaded from GRC!

jk_physics

Feb 2, 2019
That was neat. Downloaded exe and just ran it. SQRL said "this version is newer" and asked if I wanted to use the exe to update. All good now. Why aren't all programs so minimal and easy.

alt3rn1ty

Feb 2, 2019
Last edited:

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Prior to that, Windows Defender scan of the file proved it to be clean again.
I had the same positive experience with WinDefend under Win7. It scanned the file and didn't complain. The good news is that it's getting a lot of exposure. And I have also re-compressed and re-signed 4 of GRC's top 5 freeware apps... total downloads >3,500 per day. So the use of this new EV cert should become widely recognized quickly. :)

Dave

May 19, 2018
Gardner, MA
I had the same positive experience with WinDefend under Win7. It scanned the file and didn't complain. The good news is that it's getting a lot of exposure. And I have also re-compressed and re-signed 4 of GRC's top 5 freeware apps... total downloads >3,500 per day. So the use of this new EV cert should become widely recognized quickly. :)
As I am sure others have done, I submitted sqrl.exe #66 to Microsoft for review as a false positive, along with the download link.

Of course, you CAN tell your local Windoze Defender to ignore the file for now. (Or - GULP! - to ignore all occurrences of that threat.)

Status
Not open for further replies.