Failure Codes

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

BSam

Apr 30, 2019
Michigan
I'm trying to install GRC's SQRL client on my Windows 7 PC, but I am getting Failure Code: 1, after which the application stops responding. I searched for additional information on "Failure Codes", but didn't find any documentation. I may be missing something obvious, but I figured that I should ask.

Is there documentation that explains the failure codes?
What might cause Failure Code 1 to prevent installation of the client?

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
GRC SQRL Client Install/Update Failure Codes:
  1. Unable to create or execute the sqrl-fork executable EITHER during Installation or Removal
  2. Unable to set or remove the SQRL autostart registry entry
  3. Unable to create or execute the privileged sqrl-install executable
  4. Unable to set or remove browser protocol and permission registry
  5. Unable to download updated client from GRC
  6. Unable to create temporary file from downloaded update
  7. Unable to write temporary file from downloaded update
  8. Downloaded update failed Authenticode verification
  9. Unable to replace installed client with newly downloaded client
  10. Unable to place uninstall info into registry
  11. Unable to create installation directory
  12. Unable to copy ourself into the installation directory
  13. Unable to create StartMenu entry
  14. Unable to delete installed client
  15. Unable to delete start menu entry
  16. Unable to remove uninstall info from registry
  17. Unable to remove autostart for system
  18. Unable to add autostart for system
  19. Unable to remove current user option settings
I'm trying to install GRC's SQRL client on my Windows 7 PC, but I am getting Failure Code: 1, after which the application stops responding. I searched for additional information on "Failure Codes", but didn't find any documentation. I may be missing something obvious, but I figured that I should ask.
So far, the only time we have seen this, I think, is when the user has some 3rd-party security software such as CryptoPrevent which is locking down the user's temp directory where SQRL's installation attempts to create and run a temporary instance of itself.

Vela Nanashi

May 19, 2018
Just curious how are 2 and 17 & 18 different? Is it auto start registry entry vs folder?

BSam

Apr 30, 2019
Michigan
Thank you for the information about the Failure Codes, Steve. I expect that the list will be helpful for others searching in the future, but on the other hand, I hope that it won't even be needed!

In my particular instance of Failure Code 1, I continued to get the code and a frozen application every time I tried installing the client. Logging in to the forums would cause the client to run automatically. That worked multiple times without issue.

I have no idea what 3rd-party security software may be causing the issue. I am installing the client on my work PC. I ran the application as an administrator, but it had the same issue when I tried to install. I tried once more after booting in Safe Mode with Networking and, finally, the process successfully completed installation.

AlanD

May 20, 2018
Rutland, UK
BSam, Code 1 can occur when the machine is locked down to prevent malware. Some AV programs have been known to cause it, also CryptoPrevent. If it is a work PC, it may have Group Policies running which prevent programs running from unauthorised locations. The install process generates two additional "run-once" programs (sqrl-fork.exe and sqrl-install.exe) which get installed, and try to run from c:\users\{username}\appdata\local\temp. This is not a normal place for programs to exist. You may find some clues in your Event Log.

Reactions: doubleyousee

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
This is not a normal place for programs to exist. You may find some clues in your Event Log.
Alan: I am 100% open to placing those temporary exe's elsewhere if there's somewhere they would be causing less trouble??

Vela Nanashi

May 19, 2018
Would it be less bad if it downloaded itself into the program folder where SQRL.exe is? At least that would be a location where programs are allowed to run from, and if the user has permission to approve installations (that this is) then the update would need permission to put files there anyway.

AlanD

May 20, 2018
Rutland, UK
Steve, Windows is getting increasingly "locked down" in an attempt to reduce malware. Although \appdata\local\temp may seem a logical place for temporary programs, that is exactly what malware will try to do. If the temporary files were installed in the directory that SQRL is being run from, probably c:\users\user\downloads in a lot of cases, I suspect it is less likely to raise a warning with anti-malware programs, particularly if it is already running with Admin privileges.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
I am 100% open to placing those temporary exe's elsewhere if there's somewhere they would be causing less trouble
I did a few quick searches to see if there was any existing advice, and found none. I did find this, but I don't think you'd be interested:

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Would it be less bad if it downloaded itself into the program folder where SQRL.exe is? At least that would be a location where programs are allowed to run from, and if the user has permission to approve installations (that this is) then the update would need permission to put files there anyway.
Vela... That's the way it is already, right now. Everything works just fine on any normal system without all sorts of extra protective 3rd-party add-ons. I would never have taken it this far if it wasn't just fine for all typical Windows users. It is! :)

longborough

Jun 12, 2019
Hi, @Steve. I've successfully installed SQRL on my corporate (!) laptop, under Win10.

However, when I try to install on my own Win7 laptop, I get Failure Code 1. I've tried Run as Admin, I've even created C:\Program Files (x86)\GRC and made it world-writable, to no avail. I've tried running the downloaded .EXE both from there and from my Downloads folder. Nothing.

I have no "protective" software of any description locking down my machine, other than MS Security Essentials. Scanning SQRL.EXE with MSSE gives the green tick.

If you have time, any ideas?