Closed FaceID + WebAuth built in to iOS14.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Yes, because everyone uses Apple and loves their intransigent ways. /sarcasm

For example, it will be a cold day in hell before I would ever use an Apple product. I'd go without a service before letting Apple supply it for me. And since I am pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, I am not worried about Apple being dominant.

Not that I think SQRL is ever going to be a massive success either, because people are too easily seduced by the ease of username and password, and anything more complex sites find too difficult to do well enough to replace it.

Reactions: Vela Nanashi

Vela Nanashi

May 19, 2018
Yeah I do not get along with Apple myself, too restrictive, sadly Android also feels too restrictive, sadly it seems like many operating systems are all heading that way, so much so that I will need to move to linux to get control of my computer.

I still think SQRL has amazing potential to solve a problem we have had for a really long time. It just seems to be taking a long time to happen.

AlanD

May 20, 2018
Rutland, UK
One significant difference, as I understand it, is that FaceID for the web is tied to one device. There does not appear to be any way to "clone" your ID across multiple devices, e.g. PC, tablet, phone, and be the same user on all these devices. SQRL does allow export/import of your ID to achieve this.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
tied to one device
Well nothing about Apple is restricted to a device. You just need to trust Apple to sync it via iCloud. Which puts it in your online footprint for law enforcement to request access to, among other things.

AlanD

May 20, 2018
Rutland, UK
I am not sure about that. At 4:00 in the video, he says "they will never be exported from the authenticator in which they were created". Surely it is a security risk if the PKI keys are stored in the cloud.

diabolic

Oct 18, 2019
Just to revive this thread. iOS14 users can now use this login flow (webauth and faceID) natively with Wordpress.com. I don't know of any other site that it works for as of now. For a first factor, you can use whatever login you want, include Sign In with Apple. Then when you offer a security key as a 2nd factor, the iPhone will ask if you want to use FaceID directly from within safari. It's very slick! Now I just wish Google would allow Apple's webauth flow in safari work on iOS the same way! They seem bent on making you use yet another Google app for this process (Smart Lock).

Sithmagic

Oct 12, 2019
you can use whatever login you want,
Since WordPress has a SQRL plugin, if you use that, why do you need something else to identify you when SQRL has already done it (and you don't have to wear dark glasses to remain anonymous)?

diabolic

Oct 18, 2019
Since WordPress has a SQRL plugin, if you use that, why do you need something else to identify you when SQRL has already done it (and you don't have to wear dark glasses to remain anonymous)?
I think you misunderstood my point. I'm not talking about any Wordpress blog (of which I run one that does use the SQRL plugin). I'm talking about logging in to Wordpress.com directly to access your account with Wordpress. Wordpress itself does NOT support SQRL, but does support the new webauthn features put into iOS 14, which is what this thread is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.