Error associating account "Website SQRL protocol error"

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

ohryan

Oct 8, 2019
The WordPress Issues page seems pretty dead so I thought I'd post here.

I just installed the plugin on my site and get the "something's not right somewhere" error in the windows client and "login page has expired" in the Android client.

Any ideas? How can I help debug this?

PHolder

May 19, 2018
This sounds like an issue from the past... I'm trying to remember what the cause was. Did you enable account creation on your site?

ohryan

Oct 8, 2019
I have " Allow people to post comments on new articles" enabled in the WordPress settings, if that's what you mean.

If not, what do you mean? :)

shanedk

May 20, 2018
What client are you running? Are you clicking the link or scanning the QR code? Have you tried refreshing the page?

ohryan

Oct 8, 2019
With the windows client, I'm clicking the link. With the Android client I'm scanning the QR code. Yes I have tried refreshing the page.

shanedk

May 20, 2018
That's weird, because I've only had that problem with the extension, and even then I don't have the problem if I've recently loaded or refreshed the page.

ohryan

Oct 8, 2019
Do any of he apps have a debug mode? It would be nice be helpful to see what my server is sending back.

Reactions: TechLiam

PHolder

May 19, 2018
First and foremost, I am not a Wordpress user or expert at all... I am just remembering something that people ran into before.

You need your users to be able to join your site (create an account.) If they can't do that, then they can't use SQRL on your site. SQRL is *solely* about authentication, and that basically means account access validation. So just "Allow people to post comments on new articles " may mean they have to already have an account to do so. I think there is some other setting about allowing new accounts to be created...

Tagging @kalaspuffar so he can provide his feedback.

ohryan

Oct 8, 2019
The feature that I'm attempting to use is the feature that allows an existing login to be associated with SQRL in WP admin.

If @karalspuffar is the dev of the WordPress plugin, I'd love to help. I have quite a lot of experience developing for WordPress. I'm just at a loss as to how to debug this issue with a client with debug mode.

kalaspuffar

May 19, 2018
Sweden
coderinsights.com
Hi @ohryan

The feature @PHolder is talking about is "Anyone can register" that needs to be enabled if you want anyone to log in and associate. If someone tries to register without that setting set then the account will be denied and the error you see will be the result.

If you, on the other hand, have logged in and visit your profile and want to associate your account with an SQRL ID then it should work without issue. In that case, you might need to reload the page in order to log in. Or perhaps you have an error in your log files or the console log in your browser that might help.

At the moment we have an issue with Wordpress requiring a specific case for some variables and that generates a notice. This should never be shown to the end-user because notices might be a security risk. If your error settings are incorrect in PHP you might get an error on the background SQRL call and that will also end in a client error.

Hope this helps.

Best regards
Daniel