Dynamic QR codes?

Oct 30, 2020
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it in a search. I also realize what I'm about to ask might be simply impossible but here goes.

Is there any way to have the QR code have two possible URLs? One would be the standard SQRL:// URL, but the other one would be a link to "what is SQRL?"

the reason I ask is that when people see a QR and scan it, if they don't have SQRL, they'll simply get a error from their browser or camera. It would be great if in that instance the URL could redirect or somehow not fail and instead link to a useful resource on how to get started with SQRL.

I know it's a long shot, but just curious if anyone has ideas. I basically want:

- An existing SQRL user scans the code, it launches their SQRL client
- A new user who doesn't have SQRL yet scans the code and they get taken to this forum's introduction page.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
This is an interesting idea and yes it's theoretically possible.

Unfortunately it would require a completely new approach to using the SQRL protocol. Basically the encoded URL would need to be something like HTTPS_://explainsqrl.info/#FROM=SQRL://{origin site original SQRL URL}. That way a general QR Code reader would take you to some site (here I theorized it might be HTTPS_://explainsqrl.info/) whereas a client that knows to expect this would ignore that part and just get the part after the # to make SQRL work as normal.

[Note I added an underscore to the above URL's to make them non-functioning.]

Reactions: harrisonthesericin
Oct 30, 2020
This is an interesting idea and yes it's theoretically possible.

Unfortunately it would require a completely new approach to using the SQRL protocol. Basically the encoded URL would need to be something like HTTPS_://explainsqrl.info/#FROM=SQRL://{origin site original SQRL URL}. That way a general QR Code reader would take you to some site (here I theorized it might be HTTPS_://explainsqrl.info/) whereas a client that knows to expect this would ignore that part and just get the part after the # to make SQRL work as normal.

[Note I added an underscore to the above URL's to make them non-functioning.]
Oh that's a really cool idea. I can see how this would have major implications. I suppose another approach would be to have the OS recognize that it does or doesn't have a SQRL handler installed, then respond accordingly. But that would obviously require OS vendor support by Apple and Google at the minimum.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Well at the point you have "info" support at the OS level, you might just as well have the client built in and the existing OS help support deal with the "info" and training portions. Otherwise just install the client and have the protocol handler. Having a need to educate people about the benefits of (and reasons to adopt) SQRL is hopefully a shorter term problem... eventually it either takes off or falls away. The issue, as always, is inertia... People like what they know and are suspicious of new things they don't [yet] know.... and us early adopters have to "encourage" them to try new things. ;)