Do I also need a web browser plugin if I have GRCs client installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

td47

Jun 23, 2019
[Moderator note: I moved this to it's own thread, and removed the apology for reusing another thread.]

I saw references to the SQRL add-in for Firefox, BUT, I thought that if I had the desktop app, AND used it to create my new SQRL ID, AND verified the SQRL URL type was registered correctly, then I did not need to use any add-ins? I DID see that SQRL was fully supported in EDGE and IE11, so does this mean I MIGHT still need this extention for Firefox in certain scenarios with logging in, or creating new account credentials with sites that support SQRL? If some kind expert can tell me what I will acheive over and above the SQRL APP, It would be really useful, thanks.

The ADD-IN I saw is here (hopefully the correct one):

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/sqrl/

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaap

May 20, 2018
... so does this mean I MIGHT still need this extention for Firefox in certain scenarios with logging in, or creating new account credentials with sites that support SQRL?
No. If you have GRC's SQRL Application, you can do everything.
The browser extension would add nothing for you.

Dave

May 19, 2018
Gardner, MA
No. If you have GRC's SQRL Application, you can do everything.
The browser extension would add nothing for you.
Likewise, assuming/once it is complete, you should be able to use only the plug-in if you so choose. Having both installed and vying for sqrl:// could make for some interesting interactions but should not be problematic. Though, if you have both installed, I would certainly be certain to use the same password for the imported identity on both clients.

BWM

May 19, 2018
Tried using GRC's SQRL application using Wine in Linux (Kubuntu) and the application seemed to work ok allowing me to import my identity, but Firefox didn't recognize it. I then used the plug-in and imported my identity there, which works. (If I knew more about Wine, maybe I could have got it to work...)

Status
Not open for further replies.