Client can't connect to website

MiguelMS

Sep 30, 2021
Hi, I'm new to these forums.

I'm trying to setup the WordPress SQRL plugin on a test site, but I can't get it to talk to the client. It seems to be set up, seems to work, shows the QR codes on the login and user profile screens... But whenever I try to use SQRL to link an account using GRC SQRL client, I get an error from the client telling that it was not possible to connect with the website. Same thing happens if I try to login (even if I couldn't first link the account)

I have already checked that the firewall at the computer allows communication. In fact, the GRC client works as expected with these forums, so I'm trying to debug the problem on the server side. Can a log be enabled on this plugin or does it keep a log somehow that I can check? Will the plugin post debug messages if I enable the debug flag for the site? Any other ideas?

Thank you everyone for your help :)

P.S. I did the Spanish translation on the WordPress site for the plugin, but because it seems that strings are only available on the "developer trunk", it won't be published for use. And anyway, Spanish editors seem to be "overzealous" when you don't do a literal (worse) translation, or don't use the verbs they like, or if you use a formal Spanish words (instead of colloquial words they seem to like) and change the translations, so I'm probably not doing anymore translations (losing my time) on the WordPress site. If I ever update the translation, I would prefer to send it to the author directly.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Unfortunately I've never used the plugin, and the discussions I remember about it have all been aged out of the site. (I think the site was not fully configured then, and it was reset for its debut, or something like that.) In any case, I believe there is server side configuration (not plugin configuration) that needs to be done. If my memory serves, you need to enable some setting allow users to be added or something. The author has be mostly absent (Last seen: Dec 10, 2020) I'm afraid, so there aren't many resources I can offer. I will tag @kalaspuffar just in case that pings him.

MiguelMS

Sep 30, 2021
Thanks for your reply :)

The only setting that I remember by that name is "Anyone can register", but that would allow any visitor to register as a WordPress user even without using SQRL (limited user, as a "subscriber"). The site is not meant to have visitors or subscribers login, I was just trying to setup SQRL as a benefit/bonus for the few users that would post content. If allowing visitors to register is a must, I can't enable that...

The only setting that the installation instructions talk about is enabling HTTPS connections, and the site was already using them.

By reviwing the plugin PHP code, I've seen the plugin logs debug messages if the WordPress debug setting is enabled, but I get no messages when trying to link the account or login... So it seems something is efectively blocking the client connection and probably not reaching the plugin on the server... Maybe some "firewall" or "rule" at the hosting provider?

PHolder

May 19, 2018
If allowing visitors to register is a must, I can't enable that...
I would try it, as one of the ideas behind SQRL was a low friction way to handle sites where a "membership" was necessary but people didn't want to do the usual hassle of joining. The SQRL protocol can handle, creating, disabling and deleting an account all built in.

MiguelMS

Sep 30, 2021
I did try yesterday for a while... I enabled the "Anyone can register" option, but nothing changed. The SQRL client is unable to connect to the website... Is there some "verbose" or "debug" output option on the GRC client to get more specific error information?

I'm thinking it's not a problem of the plugin, but some blocking at the hosting provider. But I don't know how to check that other than asking their tech support, and that usually means a lot of time trying to get them to understand what I'm asking them...

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Is there some "verbose" or "debug" output option on the GRC client to get more specific error information?
There was, but it was removed for the final release.

If the client works with other sites, but not one specific one, then it's probably not a computer networking or client issue.

shows the QR codes on the login and user profile screens...

Use a QR Code reader to view the URL (rather than the SQRL client) and make sure the embedded URL makes sense. Maybe something is mis-configured and it's using some dummy URL or something?

MiguelMS

Sep 30, 2021
If the client works with other sites, but not one specific one, then it's probably not a computer networking or client issue.
No, it has never been a problem of the client, I was just hoping there were some more specific error info that could give a clue...

Sorry about not replying in the past days... Finally found it.

It seems the hosting provider has a "malware detection" program that was causing the plugin files on the server to stop running somehow. It's default setting was to silently terminate any suspicious PHP file running. After changing it to inform about detections, I found the problem. It's "Imunify360". After I whitelisted the plugin files, everything worked as expected. It seems to be partly cloud based, so I hope whitelisting the files help to prevent false positives from this program...

Thank you for your help :)

MiguelMS

Sep 30, 2021
This SQRL Client might help you:

I finally found the problem before having a chance to test your client, but anyway, it seems like a good method to debug this kind of problems. I'll save that client just in case I need it again.

Thanks for posting the link :)

Reactions: Paul F (1)