client appears not to be accessible with screen reader

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

covici

Jun 25, 2019
Hi. I am new to this, but I downloaded, but did not install the client, but I get nothing in the notification window, so it appears that the client is not accessible, at least not with Jaws.

If I can help get this working in any way, just let me know.

Thanks.

Dave

May 19, 2018
Gardner, MA
Hi. I am new to this, but I downloaded, but did not install the client, but I get nothing in the notification window, so it appears that the client is not accessible, at least not with Jaws.

If I can help get this working in any way, just let me know.

Thanks.
@covici,

Welcome! Thank you very much for your interest in SQRL as well as your willingness to contribute.
Perhaps you might find https://sqrl.grc.com/threads/sqrl-from-a-blind-users-perspective.480/#post-3075 of interest.

Dave

PHolder

May 19, 2018
downloaded, but did not install the client, but I get nothing in the notification window, so it appears that the client is not accessible, at least not with Jaws.
Just clarifying what you mean--you ran the downloaded file, but were not able to complete an installation because Jaws could not read the screen to you?

covici

Jun 25, 2019
I did not install, I clicked don't install and got a notification window which I could not read at all. I saw the other thread, but never got that far i.e. the registration never was there. Do I have to install, the screen said I did not have to do that and I wanted to check it out first in case there was an update or something.

covici

Jun 25, 2019
I did not installthe app, I wanted to try it and not install in case there was an update right away. After pressing don't install I got a notification window which I could not read. I saw the other thread, but I never got that far.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Well I don't think you need to install it, but it will nag you to want to be installed. Unfortunately, I have never tried it not installed, and now that it is, it is kind of difficult for me to simulate the situation where it is not. I don't know, for example, if it takes you through creating your identity unless you install it. You can't really use it at all without an identity. Assuming you didn't install it, but did go through the identity creation steps, I'm not fully clear on where it would have stored your identity. Really, @Steve designed it to be installed on a primary desktop and then to be able to export your identity to other devices as you have the need... so I think it would be easiest to use if you go ahead and install it.

If you want to be able to use it, should SQRL logins become popular on other sites, you will want to installed it. Now that it is considered a version one release, you shouldn't worry about installing it. It has an in-built update management function, as should any good piece of software that has security/authentication considerations.

Vela Nanashi

May 19, 2018
I hope I am not wrong here, but I think covici needs the computer to be able to read the text using text to speech, and for some reason that is not working for all parts of SQRL client, at least using the text to speech and accessibility program Jaws, so figuring out why that is would be good and fixing accessibility in SQRL client would be good too, I have no clue how to do that though, or how much work it would be, one would think that just having windows text controls would be enough, but that appears to not be the case.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
@Vela Nanashi Well if he just ran the client (and declined to install) and it didn't take him through identity creation, then it's just going to put an icon in the tray and do little else, no? Which leaves little for the screen reader to do...

Vela Nanashi

May 19, 2018
covici: the TLDR version of this post, please allow SQRL to install and tell us if it properly talks to you then, it will otherwise be hiding out in the tray (the installed version does this too once it has prompted you to create a sqrl identity), and I don't know how easy it is for you to access tray icons.

---

Hmm you might have a point there PHolder, I am not certain, that might not be friendly behavior though, and he did say a notification window popped up that said nothing (via text to speech). I will fire up a vm to run SQRL and not install it and see what that does...

Yes when not installing, it simply goes hide in the tray, maybe if it lacks an identity and is launched in non install mode it should pop up to help the user.

When the non installed version creates identity it puts it in the documents/sqrl folder (just decided to test that out while I am at it) it will load that sqrl identity either next to itself or from the document's folder, like it should.

Installed version without identity next to itself or in documents/sqrl folder pops up identity creation dialog. As well as goes to the forum page with installation info. Maybe if SQRL in non install mode does not see a .sqrl file next to it, it should pop that identity creation dialog up? To be more userfriendly.

For some reason I can not uninstall SQRL on this windows 7 vm though... error code 3, with UAC off... on a hunch turning it on to see if I can make it work... no that did not help. Weird, now where is that utility to force remove SQRL.. rmsqrl successfully removes it.

covici

Jun 25, 2019
OK, so I did install and got through the process, but I have a few comments regarding accessibility.

I think that the reason I did not see the create identity before and almost missed it now, is that the dialog did not gain focus after the install or dont install buttons were pressed. I had to do alt-tab a few times and then I found it, but who would ever know.

The dialogs were not read automatically by Jaws, not sure why, maybe they need to be modal ones -- not sure about that.

Finally, in the last dialog, the text could only be partially read and no ability to scroll down to the rest of it -- that is true for all the tabs. Maybe a read only edit box would work better for this.

If you want to test yourself, you can download a demo version of Jaws from www.freedomscientific.com .

I hope this helps.

Vela Nanashi

May 19, 2018
Thanks for your useful report covici, hopefully something can be done to make SQRL more accessible, though maybe a more accessible client will be written by someone if the reference client can't easily be made accessible. I think it is hard for people without need for accessibility to fully get it and develop it properly, but it is good we can get a demo of Jaws to play with. I won't personally though. I hope it is easy to make SQRL client accessible though. Not sure if it is easy to get to it when it is in the tray, though usually after setting up identity one only needs to interact with the dialogs that do pop up. Though we had another accessibility program (magnifier) that failed when darkened desktop option was enabled in SQRL, and I do not really think it does any good for someone who can't see the difference anyway. I am not sure if Jaws would be able to reach into that second darkened desktop to read the screen for you, so it might be an option you want to turn off (unless you want to try it out first and see if it works or not, though if it does not work it might be hard to get out of there so make sure you save anything important first in case you need to reboot (or get to task manager and try to kill SQRL)).

covici

Jun 25, 2019
I do not seem to have sqrl in my system tray, the only new thing I have just says actions recomended and if I right click on that it seems to be something about windows security, although I am not using windows defender, so I am not sure what it is.

covici

Jun 25, 2019
Well, if I execute the file I downloaded, it comes up with dialog to manage my identity. If I hit close, it goes away and nothing in the system tray, if I alt tab away, I can alt-tab back and its still there. What am I missing? It seems not to put an item on the desktop.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Well to confirm if it is running, attempt to use a SQRL:// URL to login to a site? I suspect it is running in the tray, but is not interactive with Jaws for some reason...

Of course the next issue you'd run into is the interaction with the screen darkening and Jaws... so you may wish to get into the settings and disable that.

covici

Jun 25, 2019
I tried this and it makes Jaws go silent in any window on the system, so its going to be hard to use. Apparently, Narrator which is the built-in screen reader that windows has, will read the resulting window, so something is quite strange. I will have to see if I can use Narrator to actually log in, later, but I think this should definitely be looked into -- can we let the author know about this?

PHolder

May 19, 2018
@Steve:

I'm curious of your thoughts on how a less sighted user might have a better experience with the client? Would it be at all possible to use your existing code base to make a text/console only application for that user group?