Chrome SQRL UI Mockup

Status
Not open for further replies.

warwagon

May 20, 2018
Iowa
I thought I would try mocking up a SQRL UI for chrome and see how it turns out. This is what I came up with.

Last edited:

shanedk

May 20, 2018
One thought: is there a way to make it sure by looking that it's the extension doing this, and not the website faking it with an HTML overlay in order to grab the user's password?

warwagon

May 20, 2018
Iowa
One thought: is there a way to make it sure by looking that it's the extension doing this, and not the website faking it with an HTML overlay in order to grab the user's password?
Great observation. But even if it was an HTML overlay, what could they do with the password without being in possession of the identity?

Also the dialog box would probably up high in the UI (I've updated the first image at the top of this page)

Last edited:

warwagon

May 20, 2018
Iowa
Do you not like the current UI?
While I'm jealous that you know how to write software, the UI looks very out of place.. UI design might not be a strong suit. It's not really even mine either, I was just dabbling in photoshop. Great job at the programming though.

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
@Jaap:

First of all... I am SO HAPPY that you are creating a web extension client for SQRL. So don't allow anything I say take away from that.

But I do agree with the idea behind that Adam (@warwagon) has suggested (or implied):

I think that the UI's design should reflect what the user will usually be doing, and that it should not continually be offering things that most users will only do once or perhaps even never. That's the way I designed the UI for my client. What SQRL users do with SQRL after the initial setup is logon. That's pretty much ALL they do with SQRL once it's been setup. So that is all that the dialog that pops up to request their password should show.

If they manually click on the SQRL extension icon on the browser, THEN I think the full UI, with all of its various functions, should appear. But when SQRL is triggered by a website logon they should only see a small and simple request for their SQRL password. And it should also show whether SQRL is expecting their entire password, or their QuickPass short version.

I would say... worry first about getting everything working, then the UI can be massaged. :)

• Love
Reactions: warwagon

Jaap

May 20, 2018
But that's the way it already is (and has been for months) when you are asked for your password (al least on Firefox, i have neglected Chrome for too long):

Or am i misunderstanding something?

The only way you can tell is by the little white arrow (top right), which is drawn "higher" than a website can. A WebExtension cannot choose the popups position or the color of that arrow at the moment.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Steve and warwagon

warwagon

May 20, 2018
Iowa
But that's the way it already is (and has been for months) when you are asked for your password (al least on Firefox, i have neglected Chrome for too long):

View attachment 115

The only way you can tell is by the little white arrow (top right), which is drawn "higher" than a website can. A WebExtension cannot choose the popups position or the color of that arrow at the moment.
Oh, Ya.. that looks better. Would it be possible to have chrome enable the webcam? So I could import my identity via the QR code?

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com

View attachment 115

That looks GREAT Jaap!! I only saw it under Chrome. And, as you know, I'm MOSTLY a Firefox user! :)

PHolder

May 19, 2018
It is very blue, but I feel it needs to CLEARLY stand out from the rest of the webpage. Perhaps an option flag to pick the background colour would be an additional security against spoofing ... when time permits after the basics are working.

Vela Nanashi

May 19, 2018
being able to select background color, foreground color and font size and face would be nice and would let people make it very unique for their browser and suitable for their own eyes.

Dave

May 19, 2018
Gardner, MA
being able to select background color, foreground color and font size and face would be nice and would let people make it very unique for their browser and suitable for their own eyes.
If you're going to go that far, you could allow an image in the pop-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.